Purpose of ferrule plugs?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

AK Troutbum
Guide

Purpose of ferrule plugs?

Post by AK Troutbum »

First off, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of ferrule plugs? I would assume to keep the ferrules from getting damaged, ie., crushed, but aren't the plugs only in place when the rod is put away in the tube? Can someone explain what I'm missing?

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Purpose of ferrule plugs?

Post by Canewrap »

to quote Don Smith (from a previous post)

"At the end of the day and after you disassemble your fly rod, clean off the male ferrule with a little denatured alcohol. Make sure you periodically clean the inside of the female ferrule with denatured alcohol as well, and use an appropriate ferrule plug in the female ferrule when the rod is being stored. It keeps out dust, lint and moisture that erodes the metal over time."

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Canewrap wrote:to quote Don Smith (from a previous post)

"At the end of the day and after you disassemble your fly rod, clean off the male ferrule with a little denatured alcohol. Make sure you periodically clean the inside of the female ferrule with denatured alcohol as well, and use an appropriate ferrule plug in the female ferrule when the rod is being stored. It keeps out dust, lint and moisture that erodes the metal over time."
...and I concur...

Don Smith

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

aesthetics can be its own reward

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Canewrap wrote:to quote Don Smith (from a previous post)

Then how does one offer the same protection to the female ferrule?

aged_sage
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aged_sage »

I'm a day late, and a dollar short; BUT, the plug IS for the female. It is the male that is left unprotected.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

aged_sage wrote:I'm a day late, and a dollar short; BUT, the plug IS for the female. It is the male that is left unprotected.
I have some small rubber sleeves I pull over the male ferrule for protection.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

bassman wrote:
aged_sage wrote:I'm a day late, and a dollar short; BUT, the plug IS for the female. It is the male that is left unprotected.
I have some small rubber sleeves I pull over the male ferrule for protection.
Like some surgical rubber?

Return to “General discussion”