Purpose of wraps??

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

AK Troutbum
Guide

Purpose of wraps??

Post by AK Troutbum »

Occasionally I see rods with small wraps spaced approx. 1" apart, all the way up, on all sections of the cane. I've often wondered, what is the purpose for these wraps? Is it just cosmetic, does it serve a purpose? It definitely seems like it would create additional weight to the rod but probably strengthen it also. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

AKTB

chestatee
Master Guide

Re: Purpose of wraps??

Post by chestatee »

The key words are : 'intermediate wraps'

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=93232&p=724705&hil ... se#p724705

Plenty more info if you search. I too had this question a few years back.

Cheers

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

For some of us we go for the purely cosmetic look. They may not be needed with modern rods and glues but I still believe they look good. One of my favorite new build rods I had I found some good thread match and put full intermediates on butt and both tips. After doing this I realized why most modern builders won't mess with them without a good extra charge. One refinisher I know get $1.50 for each intermediate wrap. OUCH...though after doing them I can see why. When you count time of measuring, tying, treating, then varnishing those wraps you might come out of making 3-4 dollars an hour at that price.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Very early rods used glues made from animal hides/hooves that were not really strong and could be water soluable, causing the bamboo splines to delaminate. All the extra wraps helped insure the rods' structural integrity. Any found on recently made rods are purely cosmetic, since modern glues are so much stronger and not water soluble once dry and fully cured.

Return to “General discussion”