What rod/reel combo would you recommend for a beginner?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Mano

What rod/reel combo would you recommend for a beginner?

Post by Mano »

Hi all,
I am a 50 yr. old man who has always enjoyed fishing while spin-casting or trolling, and I would like to learn how to fly fish. I have a 9 year old son who likes to fish with me, and I think fly fishing would be something we could learn and enjoy together.

I was wondering what rod/reel combinations you all would recommend for the two of us to get into the sport? I have inherited a couple of high end rods ( a Winston JWF and a House of Hardy Bamboo rod ) but I don't want to use those until I learn how to fly fish. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Re: What rod/reel combo would you recommend for a beginner?

Post by fragmentum »

Mano,

If you want to get into fly fishing on a budget, you can pick up a couple fly fish rod kits that include a rod and reel. Get these at a Sport shop that will load the correct size line on the reel for you and set you up with the correct leader, tippet and flys that art proper for your area and steams. Take these and head out to the water. Simple as that, and practice your casting and, catch fish!!!
like this: https://www.amazon.com/Redington-Crossw ... ishing+rod

A classic 8' 2-piece in a 5 wt rod would do well for you two for small to large streams and small rivers. You could also float fish or wade fish with these....

Where do you live and will fish?

Don

Mano

Post by Mano »

fragmentum wrote:Mano,

If you want to get into fly fishing on a budget, you can pick up a couple fly fish rod kits that include a rod and reel. Get these at a Sport shop that will load the correct size line on the reel for you and set you up with the correct leader, tippet and flys that art proper for your area and steams. Take these and head out to the water. Simple as that, and practice your casting and, catch fish!!!
like this: https://www.amazon.com/Redington-Crossw ... ishing+rod

A classic 8' 2-piece in a 5 wt rod would do well for you two for small to large streams and small rivers. You could also float fish or wade fish with these....

Where do you live and will fish?

Don
Thanks Don.

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. We have several streams, rivers and lakes close by. We also have a cabin in Manila, Utah near Flaming Gorge Reservoir and there are several lakes and streams in Sheep Creek Canyon near that, if you are familiar with the area.

sowa
Guide

Post by sowa »

If you have never fly fished before I would suggest you get in touch with a local fly fishing shop and see if you can take a beginers class or casting class. It's something you and your son could do together and it will reduce your learning curve. Typically the shop provides gear and teaches you how to put everything together how to cast, etc. I believe you will find this money well spent. I fished for 10 years before ever having a casting lesson. It took me another 5 years and lots of disciplined practice to unlearn all my casting mistakes. I'm not familiar with your area but I'm sure there are lots of good shops with good instructors. Maybe some members on the forum here could recommend one. Enjoy the journey. Fly fishing has provided endless enjoyment in my life. Heck it even guided my career choice.

Return to “General discussion”