Plueger 1494DA reel question

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Dryfly69

Plueger 1494DA reel question

Post by Dryfly69 »

Hello all new here, could anyone tell me if the 1494 DA reel be used left and right handed. I use left hand and was told It can not be used lefty. It wasn't very expensive but I Just wanted to know if I threw money away..Thanks for any help. Mike

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Plueger 1494DA reel question

Post by wb4tjh »

The 1494 reel and all those larger are easily changed from from right to left wind with only a small screwdriver, by just flipping the rachet. Google it up and you will see what I mean. Only the little 1492 can't be changed easily.

Dryfly69

Post by Dryfly69 »

:wave Thanks so much. I was hoping for that. Mike

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I didn't see you come back on so your reel must have worked out okay for you. Not all 1494 and other Medalists are automatically reversible. Don't know the years but I bought one and going to reverse to wind correctly from the left side I found the collar holding the ratchet wheel had a lip that would only fit one way. Found out certain years they could not be reversed and gave that away to young guy just getting started on the long, expensive road to fly fishing history.

aged_sage
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aged_sage »

I have several with that same affliction. The problem is not with the flange on the ratchet bearing; but, rather due the the absence of the groove on the ratchet itself that receives the flange on the one side of the ratchet bearing. This causes the ratchet bearing to sit too high; preventing it from seating properly, and preventing reel insertion into the body. If you can find a ratchet that has the groove on both sides, as I have done, you can switch out the ratchets and fix the problem. (They aren't easy to find!)

Return to “General discussion”