Advice on reel to match my new cane rod

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Hi, This is my first thread on this forum. I have finally bit the bullet and am having a 7'0" #4 two piece cane rod (Payne 98 taper) built for me. I have quite a few modern reels (Nautilus, Ross, Sage etc) but would like to match the rod up with a classic looking reel.
I wondered if anyone could offer some suggestions? I'm thinking of possibly buying a ZYZ 3" diameter but still undecided.

Thanks,

Paul

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

A Medalist 1492 or a 1494 might be an affordable reel that matches quite well with a bamboo rod like yours.

Otherwise a Hardy Featherweight or LRH. Or an Orvis CFO III

devondabbler

Re: Advice on reel to match my new cane rod

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks ibookje, useful information - I'll do a bit of research on these reels. I don't want to spend a fortune on a reel as yet - want to see how well I get on with cane first!!

I've been contemplating a cane rod for quite a while now and the new one should be ready for the start of the season over here (15th March) - if I like using cane then I cane see me needing to thin out one or two graphite rods!! The rivers here in Devon are fairly small and I often fish the upper Taw or some of the smaller rivers / streams on Dartmoor and out of preference will fish dry fly so think the Payne 98 taper should be about right.

Best wishes,

Paul

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

A Pflueger Medalist can be bought for around $20-60 on the auction site, depending on era.

A real gem like a 1930's 1492 with a round guard would set you back around $150-250 depending on condition. A nice 1950-1960 era reel is probably around the $30-60

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

Last year I built a modern, faster action 7'9" rod from a purchased blank. I put the cart before the horse and purchased a Hardy Bougle for the not yet completed rod. In the end I believe this reel is too heavy for my rod. So my recommendation would be to try casting/fishing the rod with reels you have. Then, based upon the weight of the reel that matches the rod best, go ahead and purchase a reel.
"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

The Medalists, Hardy’s and Orvis reels are popular reels among bamboo rods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks for the advice Penzzz, that makes sense too. I was thinking that my reels being fairly modern might in fact be too light and the rod would end up tip heavy, but it would make sense to try what I have on the rod first.
I suppose that a nice old reel would look better on a cane rod as well though and I will still research the reels listed by ibookje as a possibility too.

Paul

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Any thoughts as to size of reel for a 4# cane fly rod? I've had a look at some of the reels suggested on-line and many are just described by their reel diameter only.

Paul

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I would go with a Hardy Marquis 5 disc or a plain 6. They look nice on cane and will balance well with that rod.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks canewrap, that's definitely another reel to consider.

Paul.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Hi Paul,
Welcome to bamboo! I use reels in the 3" range on shorter bamboo rods. Here's just a few options....(I have 200+ vintage reels!) Can't have enough toys.....Steve

Top row L-R: 3" St George, LRH and Berkly 310 LRH clone.
Btm row L-R: 1494 Pflueger, Milward Archer and Shakespeare 1885

All fairly light and loaded with 4-5wt lines, Sylk is my favorite dry line.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks Bugslinger, again all useful information. Sounds like you've quite a collection of vintage reels!!
Now I have much more of an idea what to look for I will try to get hold of a reel (or two!!) over the winter.

Best wishes,

Paul

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I see several Medalists for sale using the term 'metal tab' in the descriptions. What is meant by that?

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

There are a great many folks who have always felt the Hardy made Orvis CFO's are just classic looking well made workhorses. They just to seem to fit the decor of a well embellished bamboo rod. Although not cheap, they can be had by carefully searching for less than $200. The spools can be had for much less. The benefit of the exposed rim for palming drag has allowed me to subdue any number of hot running stream fish.

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

huntschool
Guide

Post by huntschool »

I will add to the Orvis CFO crowd. I have several and they look quite smart on bamboo. Oh, yea, they work really well also.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III

Cedar wood
Sport

Post by Cedar wood »

Devon.....
I prefer the old school method of balancing the rod/reel/line at a point out in front of the grip. It gives me a sence of what is going on out there in the rod. Having said that, here is an idea of determining reel/line weight. What I would do is find the lightest weighi reel possible (including borrowed) and line it up and cast. If too tip heavy, begin adding weight at reel. One way to do that is with thin solid solder "wire" wrapped around grip close to reel centerline, adding until weight feels right. Then weigh reel and wire sans line. That gives a target reel weight. It has worked for me more than once.
Cedar wood

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

I always have a remnant pack of 17lb leadcore line around, I use it to adjust the reel to rod desired balance point on too light reels, simply wind the leadcore around the reel the cut off what you need. Remove the line and backing from the reel, place on the leadcore then the line backwards until you fill the spool to,the correct amount then snip off the excess backing, remove the line, tie on about 6’ of backing to,the leadcore then mount it on the spool and tie the backing to the other end of the leadcore and wind it all in, a great way to use a reel you already own and if it has a spare spool you can always use it on the rod you bought it for if you still own it without having physically changed the reel.
banjo

Sash
Guide

Post by Sash »

I have what is probably a similar weight/size rod to you, namely a 6’10” Farlows Elf. It’s rated a 5-weight, but is a very slim blank.

I started off with a Hardy LRH Lightweight: looks terrific, but is probably slightly on the light side in terms of the classic balance; I found it surprisingly unsatisfying and tiring to fish.

Then I went the other direction, and put an old Hardy Perfect (3 1/8”, I think) on it. Far heavier, at 7.3oz, vs 5.3oz for the LRH, and it feels slightly rear-weighted. But it is far more fun to fish, and does not feel tiring any more.

So my advice would be to try two different weights of reel, and “bracket” quite widely: you might be surprised by which is the better reel for the rod.

PINECREEK/DAVE

Post by PINECREEK/DAVE »

Gentlemen,

Sash gives good advise about reels like the Hardy Perfect, and the way they make the rods feel and work. Set up your rod and reel with a slightly back heavy tipping point and you have a lot of fun Fly fishing and it is a lot less tiering, especially when you fish for long periods of time.

Good advise Sash.

Pine Creek/Dave

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

All good advice here and it really boils down to personal preference. My ideal trout reel would be a Hardy Bougle. These reels, debuted in 1903, are available in original and ported lightweight versions and in several sizes which would match your rod.

These distinctive reels feature a raised pillar frame with a click and pawl check which has a unique “Bougle” melodic tune when line is playing out with a running trout. The raised pillar design prevents the line from jamming if it is wound in unevenly against one side of the spool and frame while fighting a trout. The wider spool width allows for finger pressure to add additional drag or check with a large trout and protect a light tippet. A 3 inch diameter or 3 5/8 (measured from pillar to pillar) would match your rod nicely.

My take on “balance” is sceptical as this feel is altered once line is strung through the guides. The rod is now tip heavy esp. when casting 30 feet of line. Within a few casts, this “imbalance” will feel comfortable and unnoticeable as you concentrate on your timeing and fly presentation.

As for hand position, l would advise your rod have a smaller cigar style handle. A tight hand grip just above the reel provides more control of the rod during casting. Some traditionalists position their thumb on top of the handle. This improves rod control and accuracy during casting as the thumb points the rod tip to the target area, causing the line to follow. A slightly scooped out depression on the handle top, under your thumb position, will help your grip control. The classic Hardy rod in hand logo illustrates this traditional grip.

Return to “General discussion”