Advice on reel to match my new cane rod

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

devondabbler

Re: Advice on reel to match my new cane rod

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks Steve (Bugslinger) for your enquiry as to which reel I finally ended up with. Well I have now got 2 Medalist 1494's for my Garrison.

I also recently bought a Medalist 2782 plus spare spool from eBay - Not in fantastic condition but perfectly serviceable - Not sure what line rating this reel would have been designed for?

I now also have had a Payne 102 built (8'0" #5) and found a 'mint' JW Young Pridex that balances it perfectly.

I still like the idea of an old Hardy reel (or two) - maybe that's something for the future.

Paul

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Hey Paul,
You can’t go wrong with a good ol’ Pflueger! I started with a 1494 53 years ago...still have it! Along with a bunch of other Pf reels. My favorites being a clicker 1494 and a couple of Gems. Have fun!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

A Pflueger Medalist would be a fantastic choice - vintage or new.

Old ones can be worked on - worked back into near new condition.

Everyone starts somewhere - and the Medalists are a great start.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “General discussion”