Fly Line Choice for Cane

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

devondabbler

Fly Line Choice for Cane

Post by devondabbler »

Hi All,
Thanks for all of the advice already received on obtaining a suitable fly reel for a 4# cane fly rod. I wondered if anyone could offer advice about suitable line(s) as well?

I have never tried silk lines and also understand that they are very expensive so not sure whether to go down that route?
Over here in the UK, Snowbee produce a fly line 'Snowbee XS delicate presentation (WF4)' and I wondered if any Forum members had tried this line on cane, or if not, which line(s) you would recommend me to look out for?

Thanks once more,

Paul

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Re: Fly Line Choice for Cane

Post by addicted to vise »

devondabbler wrote:Hi All,
Thanks for all of the advice already received on obtaining a suitable fly reel for a 4# cane fly rod. I wondered if anyone could offer advice about suitable line(s) as well?

I have never tried silk lines and also understand that they are very expensive so not sure whether to go down that route?
Over here in the UK, Snowbee produce a fly line 'Snowbee XS delicate presentation (WF4)' and I wondered if any Forum members had tried this line on cane, or if not, which line(s) you would recommend me to look out for?

Thanks once more,

Paul
Paul - i dont put much stock into "this line for this rod' or this line for this purpose". Furthermore, i dont have the means to be buying 5 different lines in the hope i find the right one. in my opinion, a WF to suit the rod will serve its purpose well.

I'm also shopping for a 4 wt line for my Orvis Flea and Orvis CFO1- it'll be an no name line, or a heavily discounted brand name, string it up and have at it.

Fishing can be as complicated or easy as you want to make it, i choose to make it easy. ;)

Out of interest what reel and rod did you get?

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

For my bamboo I use Cortland Sylk weight forward dry lines. As for sinking lines, the best for the buck with zero memory has been Crystal River @ $13! But I can't find them anymore....

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks for the responses so far. Rod-wise it's going to be a 7'0" 4# with Payne 98 taper and I'm still looking for a reel.
Just looked at some reviews on Cortland Sylk lines and they look good. I normally fish WF for carbon but was thinking of using DT for cane.

Paul

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

For that particular taper, you can't go wrong with a DT4. However, if you do get a chance to try out some lines, courtesy of a fly shop or one of the numerous cane gatherings, you may want to give a WF4 or a WF5 a try. Because bamboo is a natural material and there are differences in stiffness, based on glue, and preferences of the caster - nothing is set in stone with regards to the line that will make the rod truly come alive for you. Just some friendly advice...

JoeFriday
Sport

Post by JoeFriday »

Since you're in the U.K., you might consider Barrio fly lines, which are local for you. They're very good quality and probably half the cost of other brands you're considering.

But I personally would recommend a 406 Lines in DT4. I have both the Barrio and the 406 and while my Barrio is very nice, the 406 is clearly better.

Silk lines are a whole different game. I've had Phoenix, Terenzio and Cadno lines. All had strengths and weaknesses. But I ended up selling them all simply because I didn't like the sound (similar to textured lines like Sharkwave). They're a bit expensive to jump into so I'd suggest borrowing a silk line to see what you think before purchasing.
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks JoeFriday, I've googled 406 fly lines as I haven't heard of them over here in the UK and they look good - unfortunately it's not worth my getting hold of one from USA as by the time I add delivery charges as well as import duty its a bit of a show stopper ::)
I have just ordered up a Cortland 444 Sylk #4 DTF fly line so looking forward to that. It's getting difficult to get hold of a Sylk over here at the moment so grabbed one while I could.
The rod build is now underway and I have opted for a Garrison 201 taper in the end - having cast one yesterday. Really looking forward to it.

Paul.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

By the way, I do have a couple of Barrio lines as well as a Luke Bannister small stream and they are all very good value.

Paul

middlecalf
Guide

Post by middlecalf »

The only factors that really come in to play outside of casting-style preference and cost is how much spool storage room there is on your reel (DT's tend to need more room unless cut) and how small (diameter) the guides are on the rod, which might dictate a thinner line like silk. Otherwise, there's really nothing unique about a bamboo rod that dictates line type IMHO. I prefer silk, but my bamboo rods have small guides. And they're bamboo (LOL).
Internet Scientist

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

devondabbler wrote:Thanks JoeFriday, I've googled 406 fly lines as I haven't heard of them over here in the UK and they look good - unfortunately it's not worth my getting hold of one from USA as by the time I add delivery charges as well as import duty its a bit of a show stopper ::)
Hi Paul,

I appreciate your concerns but we have a dealer in the UK - Alternative Tackle, http://www.alternativetackle.com. Here is their address: 4 Cleveland Road, Lytham,
Lancashire, FY8 5JH. UK.

Very nice to deal with and they do carry DT4s.

Tom Brodhead
406 Fly Lines

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

tabrods406 wrote:I appreciate your concerns but we have a dealer in the UK - Alternative Tackle, http://www.alternativetackle.com. Here is their address: 4 Cleveland Road, Lytham,
Lancashire, FY8 5JH. UK.

Very nice to deal with and they do carry DT4s.

Tom Brodhead
406 Fly Lines
Thanks for the 'heads up' Tom, I have been on their website and will be ordering up a 406 line tomorrow, that's great news. A friend has given me one of his 1494 Pflueger reels so just now need to put a line on it!!!
I saw a 406 fishing cap on eBay that looked really retro but as it was from the States with shipping and taxes I couldn't justify it. I was hoping that Alternative Tackle might stock one but I don't think so - I'll ask tomorrow when I order the line.

Paul

Doublegun
Guide

Post by Doublegun »

I don't even want to think of how much money I have spent trying to answer this question. As mentioned above - it's not "plug and play." What works best for you and your rod requires a bit of patience and experimentation.
Around the steel no tortured worm shall toil.

Return to “General discussion”