Which Taper?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

devondabbler

Which Taper?

Post by devondabbler »

My new rod build is progressing well - I opted for a 7'0" 4# (Garrison 201 taper) in the end. I'm looking forward to using this, my first cane rod, for dry fly on some of the smaller rivers / streams down here in Devon in the new season.
I have no doubt that I will be wanting another cane rod to compliment this one and would appreciate any advice as to what to go for next taper-wise?
I think it would be a 4/5 # rod maybe between 7'6" and 8'0" and capable of casting a weighted nymph as well as dry fly.
Also if anyone has any thoughts about useful books worth reading for a newcomer to cane, I would also be grateful.

Paul.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Which Taper?

Post by Canewrap »

If you go to David Ray's Taper Library and look at the second entry there, it's for Don Andersen's 7' 9" 5wt. I've made this taper and can recommend it, if you like the Garrison tapers. I would recommend Howell's Lovely Reed as a book that has great tapers in it and makes for a good read.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks Canewrap - I'll take a look.

Paul

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Since I'm only planing out my 3rd rod I'll not pretend to be an expert on tapers, but I spent 20 years dreaming about building my own rods before I actually did it so I have just about every book and VHS/DVD on rodmaking that you could want. John Gierach's Fishing Bamboo and Black's Casting A Spell are two outstanding books for reading about rods. For the technical, how-to side I really refer to The Lovely Reed and Wayne Cattanach's books the most. Beyond those you really can't miss. I went into a local LA fly shop a few months ago (Fisherman's Spot) and came out of there having spent a few hundred dollars on books. Martin Keane's book was the best of the lot.

I also have Wayne's VHS tapes which are now available on DVD, and two excellent DVD's from Golden Witch on making blanks and finishing rods. Youtube is a great resource as well. When you fill your head with so many different ideas from various sources you really have to learn how to filter out what may or may not work for you. That's a process that takes time and trial and effort.

devondabbler

Post by devondabbler »

Thanks, 3creeks - I will look into those books. I'm a big John Gierach fan so will definitely get hold of a copy of 'Fishing Bamboo'.

Paul

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

The house I live in, in Albuquerque, NM, I bought from Jack Howell. I still have the dip tank he used in the garage and some of his leftover bamboo stuff. One thing most people didn't know is the Jack was also the 1st Clarinet in the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra! Last I heard Jack was living in New Zealand. When I showed him the bamboo rod I made, he took $100.00 off the cost of the house. No Kidding! Jack's a really cool dude!

angleworm

Post by angleworm »

209E

PINECREEK/DAVE

Post by PINECREEK/DAVE »

Gentlemen,

If you like Garrison Tapers on your Bamboo Fly Rod I recommend picking up a copy of A Master's Guide to Building A Bamboo Fly Rod, By Everett Garrison & Hoagy B. Carmichael. Simply a fantastic book with lot of great building information in it, including Garrison engineering tapers. The original book will run you a few dollars for sure.

However I have always been partial to the F.E. Thomas slow action Bamboo Fly Rods, you might want to pick up one of his rods, and fish it before you build another Bamboo Fly Rod.

Pine Creek/Dave

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Hi Paul
Going by your forum name I’m assuming your in England ? I only ask as I’m heading over at the end of May , I’ve a couple of 4/5# rods with different tapers that I fish with regularly that you might like to try out . I’d be happy to meet up somewhere for a days fishing if you like.
Cheers Kris.

Return to “General discussion”