Perhaps Vanity in my old age - Rod tubes material

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

tcorfey
Guide

Perhaps Vanity in my old age - Rod tubes material

Post by tcorfey »

I have several Bamboo rods I made as a kid and as I get older I am getting the itch to stop using my PVC rod tubes with the plumbing sizes written on them and purchase some nice aluminum tubes with the screw on cap. I think the reason is I just refinished the rods over the last couple of winters.

Any thoughts on this? The PVC tubes have held up for years (schedule 40 pipe) and they do the job but, I always feel like I am treating these rods as second hand citizens to my production and custom bamboo rods which have always come in aluminum tubes.

Any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger/or not to help me decide.

Regards,

Tim C.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Re: Perhaps Vanity in my old age - Rod tubes material

Post by chsparkman »

A fine quality wooden tube can complement a bamboo rod very nicely.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Olyfisher
Sport

Post by Olyfisher »

LOL, tcorfey, I go the opposite way. I like to have my bamboo in PVC tubes, a form of camouflage....While I fish bamboo mostly now (except for 2 handed and saltwater) I have a goodly number of Winston graphite...and we all can see those green tubes from a long ways off. Plus, I don't want to ding the fine tubes most rods come in. So whether I'm on foot with two rods along, one in the backpack and one in hand, or in the drift boat, or in the jet boat....my rod tubes don't draw the wrong kind of attention. Plus, nothing wrong with keeping those original tubes pristine.....And like you, schedule 40 is the way to go. And my labels are just gorgeous.....duct tape with my own code on them for what's in the tube......Now that I read this....I sound paranoid.....

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

Thank you for your responses.

I am still on the fence about this but, Olyfisher you make a good argument about having a PVC tube being a kind of camouflage especially in the car versus an aluminum one. Probably does not heat up as much as aluminum would either.

cmsparkman - a wooden one would be nice. Have to think about that. Maybe something 6 sided? Might be an interesting project for next winter. Might draw the wrong kind of attention if it was in the car even if it was empty.

Ben Kann
Master Guide

Post by Ben Kann »

Might draw the wrong kind of attention if it was in the car even if it was empty.

I had a lovely 6-sided wooden tube that I won at a Superboo raffle. I could not make myself take it out in the car (I'm from New York City and these habits die HARD). Donated back to the raffle the following year. "I sleep easier now"
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I've been making boo rods for some time now, and although I've had some nice rod socks made by Jillian at Between Two Banks, I've not sought out some nice complimentary rod tubes. It is high time I should. I also believe the quality of the rod tube should 'say' something about what's inside. I am also a believer that for long term storage of your bamboo rod, you should NOT have is stuffed inside a rod tube, but rather hang your rod sock with your rod inside from a peg inside a dark and dry closet.

Olyfisher presents a great argument as well about the visual deterrent noticing a nice rod tube compared to a piece of 'handled' PVC. This also bodes well for having the rod, in a tube, in the boat or car, getting a little banged up.

So the question is, fancy rod tube or no. I think it's up to the eventual owner of the rod, and what makes him/her feel good. Transporting the rod to and from the creek and protecting it is of prime importance, and some feel a rod tube should ONLY be used for transporting purposes.

I'm torn...

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

Good points all.

I think I might buy a aluminum tube for one of my rods that does not have one and then decide on the others later.

When I was out last week I had rod in aluminum tube and another in the PVC. The PVC just feels so cheap, well because it is but.... I don't know I just felt better removing the rod from the aluminum tube I can't explain it though as it should not make a difference to me.

Regards,
Tim

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

For traveling, I used padded cases that allow for the reel to be attached. I keep my fine tubes at home.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I'm with Mister Bill. I have the rods I'm taking on a trip or to the pond in cordura double cases, plus one single case. This way I have 5 rods with in 3 packages with reels. A smooth casting 7' 3wt. 7'6" 6wt. Pentas. A 7'9" 5wt. and 8'6" para 17 8wt. and in the solo tube a 6'9" 4wt. just in case rod.

In a separate case with a big reel pouch for spinning I have two bamboo spinning rods, a UL 5' 4# and Med 5'6" 6#.

I have tubes for most of them but like carrying them together. I do have to say this though. MAYBE a PVC case might reduce theft risk if they are visible in car but somehow the idea of putting rods I have paid enough for and having sorted through several rods to have these ones I like, I couldn't haul them around in PVC. Shipping fine but not for my trips on the stream or lake.

Colston Newton
Guide

Post by Colston Newton »

I have tubes of both sorts. A couple of the aluminum ones are pretty old. The PVCs are tubes I made when I put up rods myself.

The comments about the aluinum tubes drawing unwanted sattention of thives is likely right most of the time, but was wrong at least once I know of. Many years ago burglars ransacked my uncle's vacation home. They got all grades of stuff including his saltwater fishing tackle. They entirely ignored his son, my cousin's. bamboo fly rods in their aluminum cases. My cousin figured the thieves, never having seen fly rod cases, thought the cases were plumbing pipes.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

MHO is PVC if I am traveling. For the protection they give. I like the aluminum cases too, but if you accidentally back over one with your vehicle, it DOES NOT ( luckily it was not a bamboo rod in it) spring back into shape. I like using the aluminum tubes, but as soon as somebody calls me a fly fishing snob, I'll go back to the PVC.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Hello all. This is my first post on this section. If the photos are a problem - please delete them.

I tend to have the original rod tube inside a carpet roll tube inside my FJ. I am not sure why that is.
Mainly the 2pc double better made cordura reel on rod carriers do the trick for me on short distance trave.
Oh, Tom Morgans rod tube 'kit' you get with a rod is amazing. Oversock, hextube, quilted sock. Coin-in cap/lid. Neat-o ;)

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Yardbent
Guide

Post by Yardbent »

you could look for something like this in the US

up-market PVC tubes
https://www.guidesnblanks.com/p/rod_tubes
best regards.....john

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

If you look around on the net or youtube there are some nice sites where they take the pvc tube and refinish it with colors that make it look like a bamboo culm. Long as you have the right size tubes that might be an option. It would be nice if you could get the metal screw on caps like the pvc tubes in yardbent's link.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

Update: Thanks everyone for all of the ideas! I still have not pulled the trigger however, I have spoken with a couple of shops that are making aluminum tubes. I have to admit the cheapo side of me likes those ideas for improving the looks of the pvc tubes but the aesthetic side of me still likes the aluminum tubes.

Regards,

Tim C.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Just never, ever leave home without a blanket or such to cover rod tubes from sight! That's a recipe for a broken window.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

When I was able to travel I always had what rods I was bringing in the original tubes but they always fly under the radar since they were inside my sleeping bag on the floor in front of the rear seats. Can’t think of many vehicles these days that don’t have tinted windows in the rear so anyone looking inside would have a difficult time seeing the dark sleeping bag as being anything other than the floor, worked very well since I never had an issue. Also was great insulation keeping them cool during the heat of the day.
banjo

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

fishnbanjo wrote:...a difficult time seeing the dark sleeping bag as being anything other than the floor, worked very well since I never had an issue.
We follow much the same lines, but with a cheap, easy twist. My wife sought out some large bath towels that matched the interior of our rigs. Found them on discount at some store or another. She bought a handful, which we always keep folded in easy reach in vehicles, but out of the way.

It's a matter of habit now to spread them over anything we want kept out of sight. For all the world, it looks as though the rig is empty when viewed from outside.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Call me crazy but you could do both—buy some nice metal tubes and put the ensemble inside a PVC tube for travel and riverside parking. When you feel it’s safe enough leave the PVC behind.

Return to “General discussion”