Trying to figure out fly rod weight

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Pete

Trying to figure out fly rod weight

Post by Pete »

I have a Shakespeare FY200 8'6" fly rod I inherited from my father-in-law, and I'm trying to figure out what weight the rod is. The label has where it was made (Orillia, Ontario) and L3V6H2. Other than that, I can't see any markings. I'd be grateful for any information.

JPaden
Sport

Re: Trying to figure out fly rod weight

Post by JPaden »

Just put a reel with 5 or 6 wt line on and do some yard casting. Once you get 30 or so feet of line out you should know whether it feels too heavy or too light. Adjust accordingly.
If you want to get into the details look up "Common Cents System" of testing fly rod action.

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

FY200 in 8'6" was rated as a DT7 or WF8 the rod was available in a standard taper and bass taper.

More info here:
http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/ ... hakespeare

sth2006
Guide

Post by sth2006 »

The other thing to keep in mind is your casting style and the action of the rod. I like moving down a line size than what others recommend or what the factory recommends as I'm not hauling away in my casts and yet still want a tight loop, which doesn't drop on my back casts. So you really need to try a few weighted lines and do some lawn casting. And, when I am on a large river with plenty of casting room - then I will move up the line weight, double haul and snap the wrist faster ....

Return to “General discussion”