Insomnia?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Barney
Sport

Insomnia?

Post by Barney »

Here it is 4:45am, I'm cruising on the CFF, with a cup of coffee. Yes,
I'm cursed with insomnia. How well I remember my younger days,
especially in the Army, when I could sleep anywhere, anytime.
Are you in the same situation?

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Re: Insomnia?

Post by fishnbanjo »

No, I drink a fair share of coffee, strong and black, all day long, never decaf, I could drink a quadruple espresso and go to sleep, of course I worked for the Navy for over 30 years, regards.
banjo

Barney
Sport

Post by Barney »

I also drink strong black coffee. Due to a medical condition,
mine has to be decaf.
My insomnia has served me well on fishing trips; I was up
early and had breakfast ready for the crew.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Up daily after 4. Some days 3. On rare occasions 5. Not sure about the scientific cause, but 4 kids, 4 dogs/cats all start needing something by 6am. A theory: My mind and body are seeking peace and quiet. Seemingly only available in the early hours. In college I could sleep through anything. Going to bed early or late makes little difference.
As for coffee, my favorite beverage by far. Black is wonderful.
There are benefits to this bizarre lack of sleep. First dibs each morning on the UK tackle listings (on the big auction site). Several BIN successes over the years. Part of my daily ritual.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

FWIW, I doubt you can call it insomnia but I once read an article about the American inventor Sir Alex. G. Bell who would sit in his chair for a nap, holding a small bell by a small handle atop the bell.

He'd grip it between his thumb and two fingers, holding it over the arm of the chair. Drop it and away he'd go again!

Not me. I'd be horrible to live with all day..............

edit: BTW Doug, that little LHW Perfect you sold me awhile back....thank you!!! Super clean and a real gem. Plus you were great to communicate with!! Wish all Xactions went that well!!

Marysfan
Sport

Post by Marysfan »

Ok. Then it’s no problem for me. Thanks!

EdMcG
Guide

Post by EdMcG »

Barney,
There is an app for that— and it’s free.
Look for the CBT-I app. It was developed by the Veterans Administration and I believe Stanford University. It is the state of the art treatment for insomnia
Ed

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Seems like I only get insomnia on the night before a fishing trip! Almost like the night before Christmas!

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Melatonin seems to be the only thing that works for me without the risk of any scary side-effects. I get the little sublingual pills that just dissolve under your tongue at the local health food store. They dissolve with a mild-fruity aftertaste and you go to bed. My personal life is still a trainwreck and sleep is never a sure thing, but... with a good book and slow time before shutdown, the melatonin seems to really help me get at least a good 4-5 hours and sometimes more. I've even gotten up at 4 am, taken another "hit" and went back to bed for another good stretch of sleep. This stuff really works. I got the idea to try it from a recent book on sleep written by neuroscience and sleep-doctor Matthew Walker. His book "Why We Sleep" is quite insightful. He, evidently, consults with many professional athletes who have problems sleeping when they must travel for games.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Turn on the TV, or Or open a book. Puts me right out!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This sounds kind of funny but I was sleeping day and night for awhile. The reason was I was sleep deprived. I know prostate problems at 75 are more the norm but I was in a stretch where it was hourly or less. Saw the urologist and sure enough had a bladder infection. Couple of rounds of anti-biotics and got back to 3-4 hours between trips. Also found myself having dreams again. When I was sleeping a lot but not for any length of time I was not getting REM sleep where dreams usually occur. Now I am and dreaming again though not often enough about fishing.

Return to “General discussion”