Spooling Reels

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Ironsightimages

Spooling Reels

Post by Ironsightimages »

Still a bit of a newbie for all things fly fishing. Most of my reels have been setup where I bought line for them. As I'm getting into messing around more on my own and wanting to try different lines are there any easy tricks to adding line and the appropriate amount of backing?

So far the one reel I rigged up on my own I added too much backing and now the line hits the reel housing when it's nearly all wound in. I have a few reels that i'd like to shift some line on and consolidate what weight lines are on which reels/spools.

Besides calling a shop and seeing if they'd be willing to redo my reels, I'd happily pay for this, is there a recommended easy way to do this at home?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Spooling Reels

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

start with the fly line, then add the appropriate amount of backing - keeping moderate tension on the line during this process. Strip off backing and line and then tie on backing. Always leave a little room as you line will not lay as nice while fishing as it does when you are spooling it at home.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

If you are in a temperate, location, head to a big field/yard and strip line, cut off some backing, and re-spool.
I have a hardy line winder which makes things easy in Winter, but still prefer to do this outside - helps limit any twisting. Advice, never let a store spool backing (especially) and line.

Ironsightimages

Post by Ironsightimages »

Thanks, guess I was trying to avoid the add-to move-add process but without measuring the backing I guess it’s the only way.

Interesting you say not to let a store add the line, what’s the reason?

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Too much tension on old vintage reel spools can damage them - machines can often be set incorrectly with too much tension.

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:start with the fly line, then add the appropriate amount of backing - keeping moderate tension on the line during this process. Strip off backing and line and then tie on backing. Always leave a little room as you line will not lay as nice while fishing as it does when you are spooling it at home.
+1
Last edited by andre49 on 12/01/18 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

aged_sage
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aged_sage »

For starters, most reels come with 'paperwork" that will tell you how much backing the spool will hold for any given line type and weight. Most fly shops also have this information available.

It is easy enough to make a "line dryer" (nothing more than a homemade wooden reel with a handle), which is an invaluable tool for changing fly lines and backing. If you live near a football/soccer field, this is about as good a place as any for stripping the line and backing off the reel, as you have ample rook to do so. Doing it in your living room IS possible; BUT, I don't recommend doing it there. Too many tangles and twists to deal with. These things are bad enough when everything is laid out in a straight line. No need to make bad things worse!

Return to “General discussion”