A Question for western float boat fly-fishermen !!!!!

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Flyfish1952

A Question for western float boat fly-fishermen !!!!!

Post by Flyfish1952 »

I am from northern Wisconsin and I was thinking of purchasing something like a Fish Cat or Sea Eagle type 2 man (rubber) pontoon float boats. There are many testimonials about there abilities on lakes, ponds, and slow rivers but nothing on there ability to withstand rocky trout streams. If you have info that you wouldn't mind sharing, I would certainly like to hear from you. Thank You, TERRY...…… flyfish1952@charter.net

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Re: A Question for western float boat fly-fishermen !!!!!

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I do a float trip on the San Juan River once or twice a year. I am always in a fiberglass Clackacraft drift boat that has low gunnels that are easier to get in and out of the boat when we stop to wade fish. That is about all I can tell you, except it feels nice to have something solid under my feet! Not my boat though, it's the guide's boat!

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I've fly fished from a variety of boats from the old tire tube float tube (yes actual tire tubes) to guides jet boats (big rivers and lakes). Fishing a rocky trout stream, depending on the volume/flow I'd be careful with anything where your legs are hanging down, hydraulics are an amazing force. Depending on the flows and rocks, drift boats provide a very shallow draft, pontoon boats work really well if it's a bigger boat that you can keep your feet out of the way.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

We use a 14' Outcast raft for our float trips, mostly on the Yellowstone River. It's big water and rocky when lower. The raft just glides over the rocks although trying to avoid rocks is advisable. It can be harder to row in the wind than a boat but I find it to be more stable. If you do get a raft/ pontoon boat just make sure it has a rowing frame which makes keeping the raft under control much easier. You might want to try out a raft and boat before committing to either one.

Tom

Return to “General discussion”