How often do you clean your fly lines?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

baughb
Guide

Re: How often do you clean your fly lines?

Post by baughb »

For my silk lines while not on the river, 2-3 times a year and stored in gentle loops (old wading boot box) stacked with cardboard pieces to keep the lines from mingling.
Silk lines on the river, before the first cast, when the tip starts to sink a bit, after the last cast of the day.

With the silk, my cleaning includes air drying, light additional drying with a cloth, apply Snake Oil or Otter Butter for at least 2 laps from tip to tail.

Plastic lines on the river, before the first cast, after the last. This usually Aboline make up remover, the wiped off well and add mucilin tip to tail
Plastic between trips, Aboline tip to tail at least 2 laps, wiped clean.

All in all, it just doesn't take that long

Southfork
Sport

Post by Southfork »

Don't know, I'd have to ask the wife.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I like to keep my lines clean for maximum distance and performance so I generally clean them after a day's fishing. I try to stay with manufacuirer;s recommendations thus SA line cleaner pad & dressing for their lines, Rio's for Rios and soap & water for Airflos.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

I try once every trip or two.

I dip in Dawn dish water, dry, and apply cleaner. I have used several cleaners but still have have a bottle or two of Glide on the shelf.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Twice a year with Glide on all my plastic lines - and it conditions the line for longer life
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

MG SPEY

Post by MG SPEY »

Just finished cleaning and conditioning all my lines it's a pain but you got to do it, 3 times a year for me.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

The lines I use on a regular basis I clean 2-3 times each year. AamorAll in a rag and run the lines through that a couple of times. I have lines that are ten or twelve years old and doing just fine. No cracks, splits or baked in dirt. I use this procedure on all Sa, Rio, Cortland lines etc. No issues.

Don fleming

Post by Don fleming »

By the sounds of things I should start cleaning more often. Some of my lines haven’t been cleaned in years but I do stretch them out every season

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

. Silk - every day, or on a trip, no more than waiting 3 days - depends on use and performance.
. Trout and Spey plastic lines - annual, as stated these line last longer than OEMs want you to believe
. Pike lines - as I am hauling heavy flies - multiple times in the season through the complete line, and adding some "Whizz"
. Salt - I live inland, so salt trips is a luxury. So definitely after a trip, but a quick wipe in one hand and a Kalik in the other hand after a day out is not unusual. Allow me to check the line to and adjust leaders.

Yes, Dawn soup

I also dress plastic for shooting - just using the Airflo Whizz

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I clean them when I return from every outing using an old Orvis cleaning & dressing kit. It makes for smoother casting.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

If your line is really dirty, try Bon Ami powdered cleanser in a damp wash cloth. Pull line through it and then rinse it thoroughly.
It will even take off parking lot tar. No chlorine in it .

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I clean my plastic lines a couple times a season plus a cleaning before winter storage. I use Soft Soap rather than Dawn -- a bit milder, though I don't think you're doing any harm with the latter. After the line dries, I use a Cortland line dressing pad.

Does it lengthen the life of the line or improve its performance? Maybe. My bigger motivation is to cut down on the amount of dirt line picks up and wears on the guides...I've seen grooves literally worn into the tip top guide from lines that weren't maintained.

johan851

Post by johan851 »

Not nearly as often as most of you, apparently. But I also don't fish as much as I'd like, and I have a lot of lines that only see a day or two on the water yearly. I probably clean a line after about 5-10 days on the water. Dish soap and water followed by Rio AgentX.

Return to “General discussion”