reel identification

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

keithiow

reel identification

Post by keithiow »

could a member identify this reel for me. side plate 42mm. Thank you

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: reel identification

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

It is not a fly reel, rather a baitcasting reel in my opinion. Try ORCA

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

The holes in the foot suggest the reel was lashed to the rod with twine. Perhaps to be used on rods that did not have a reel seat as we now know it. Early on (Pre 1870) there was not as much difference between bait casting and fly reels. Wasn't it 1874 when Charles Orvis is credited with the first fly fishing reel as we know them today? I think reels were used more interchangeably when this reel was in use. This reel comes from a time when it was a "fishing reel". It does have a stop latch to hold the handle in place to avoid overrun and perhaps aid in trolling if that's how you were fishing on a given day. Yes, it is constructed as we picture a bait casting reel today.
I run sporting camps on a pond where the rules designate "fly fishing only" and in 2019 people still bring spinning gear and think if they tie a fly to the line they are fly fishing. It's not hard for me to believe that in 1865 what you had tied on the end of your line determined how you were fishing more than the style of your equipment? Perhaps the science was not as exact in that era?

keithiow

Post by keithiow »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:It is not a fly reel, rather a baitcasting reel in my opinion. Try ORCA
Not in your mind perhaps. This reel is from pre 1870. There was no such thing as a fly reel before then only fishing reels so this "fishing reel" was used in all types of fishing including fly fishing. What I was trying to find out was the makers name as I have searched high and low and cannot find a picture or reference to the reel

keithiow

Post by keithiow »

Has anyone any ideas or opinions on this reel. Anything would be appriciated., thanks

C.Seidner

Post by C.Seidner »

I have the same exact reel and have had it for over 20 years. No maker ID but early reel. could be Civil war era. I can see this used on a long greenheart rod for sure. Not much help I know ;) Oh mine has no holes in the foot.
What can Possibly go wrong????

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I'd consider it just a "Trout" or "Utility" reel, as it is single-action. You'll likely never know the maker.
Mark

Return to “General discussion”