Orvis type rod

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

raven4ns
Guide

Orvis type rod

Post by raven4ns »

Hello,
I have always liked the look of the Orvis fly rods especially the dark amber that many of them have. When doing some research I found out that the rod action varies even on rods from a similar group. Because I prefer a faster rod, I thought about getting a rod made that looked like the Orvis I described but made with a faster action.
I realize it wouldn't be an actual Orvis rod but it would suit my needs. Is it possible to have this done? Another reason I thought about doing it this way was to keep my costs down. Our CDN$ has been in the toilet and buying anything in the US costs an additional 25%+.
Any information you could give me about this would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Regards,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis type rod

Post by 16pmd »

James Reid makes faster rods in darker tones and is in Vancouver BC. I've cast a few of his rods and they were well made and fine casters in addition to having the appearance you're looking for.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Orvis did make some faster rods. What length & weight are you looking for. Orvis rods are virtually indestructable, which is a nice added benefit of the Bakelite impregnation process.Granger, Heddons, and other classics used imonia or heat or both to get a darker finish and other benefits.

Morten

Post by Morten »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:Orvis did make some faster rods. What length & weight are you looking for. Orvis rods are virtually indestructable, which is a nice added benefit of the Bakelite impregnation process.Granger, Heddons, and other classics used imonia or heat or both to get a darker finish and other benefits.
Do you know what Orvis models, a friend of mine is looking for an Orvis imprenated rod, with a faster action.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Morten wrote:
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:Orvis did make some faster rods. What length & weight are you looking for. Orvis rods are virtually indestructable, which is a nice added benefit of the Bakelite impregnation process.Granger, Heddons, and other classics used imonia or heat or both to get a darker finish and other benefits.
Do you know what Orvis models, a friend of mine is looking for an Orvis imprenated rod, with a faster action.
What length and line weight is your friend looking for? I have their fast action 7' 2/2 3 3/8 oz rod (which casts best with a WF4 for me) that I will likely be selling as it overlaps with other rods in my quiver.

Return to “General discussion”