Paying sales tax on Ebay

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Paying sales tax on Ebay

Post by Mister Bill »

Has anyone bought or sold recently and had sales tax added by Ebay?

How does that work?

Bill

afried
Sport

Re: Paying sales tax on Ebay

Post by afried »

Yes, as a buyer. Can't tell you how it works other than that sales tax was added at my local rate.

Andy

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

A number of states added sales tax collection to online sales. As a result eBay and other online vendors are now required to collect and remit it. Not an eBay issue as this is driven by state law changes.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

What Jim said. Adds a new wrinkle to the bidding process. It caught me by surprise, I called Ebay for an explanation. It’s automatically added to your purchase if you are in a state that requires it.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

By the end of next year, every state will be collecting tax on internet purchases. I think 35 states are already in.

richardawalker
Sport

Post by richardawalker »

Back in Michigan it started with on line sellers required to collect sales tax if they had a physical store in the state, like Cabelas. I didn't have one near me so I continued to order online and suddenly sales tax started to be added. Then, after a few years of that, all online sellers had to collect. In the old days the state "trusted" us to pay the sales tax ourselves directly to the state. Guess that didn't work too well!

ddeford

Post by ddeford »

Actually this was the result of a Supreme Court decision, South Dakota v. Wayfair which overturned an older line of decisions Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, 504 U. S. 298, and National Bellas Hess, Inc. v. Department of Revenue of Ill., 386 U. S. 753,..." The reasoning is pretty clear. Commerce has changed and the revenue the states were losing was enormous and so called "main street" merchants were at a competitive disadvantage. The reason that this is a Supreme Court decision is that the regulation of interstate commerce is a federal matter only. That's the Reader's Digest version. If you want know more you're more of a glutton for punishment than I am.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, are the five states that don't have a sales tax and don't collect sales tax on internet sales.

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Same for international buyers, I used to buy quite a lot of fly fishing related things mainly from the USA on eBay. Now with the poor Australian dollar and the tax it’s no longer viable.
If I buy direct from a store in the USA no import tax unless the item or items go above $1000 AU .

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

I guess if we want firemen,policemen,clean water,teachers, roads with no potholes, fish in our lakes and streams we have to pay or we could move .Cheers,Chet

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/01/20 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

perfesser wrote: very large companies are not hurt by wayfair
Having worked for one of the larger retailers online, that isn't exact the case. Until the case in North Dakota, the primary opponents to the tax exempt status were large company's. Not because they worried about the smaller companies or cost of compliance, rather the way the law worked, it gave certain large companies who didn't have a presence in a state the advantage over others who did. For some time Amazon didn't collect sales tax in all states, yet Walmart was required to giving Amazon (or others like them) an advantage over others who had physical preferences.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 05/01/20 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

I'd rather be fishin' than researching about sales taxes. If I want something a few bucks for taxes is not gong to change my actions.Like the monies raised by state lotteries!There are many more very important thing to do and think about.Goin 'out this morning ,finally! Cheers,Chet
Last edited by Titelines on 12/23/19 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to take out political garbage

Return to “General discussion”