Fly Fishing Glasses

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

dqatar
Guide

Fly Fishing Glasses

Post by dqatar »

Whats the Best Fly fishing Glasses out there at a affordable Price

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Fly Fishing Glasses

Post by samsonboi »

dqatar wrote:
02/11/21 19:01
Whats the Best Fly fishing Glasses out there at a affordable Price
If you mean polarized sunglasses, any comfortable pair with decent lenses should be fine. Cross the lenses of two pairs to make sure they are correctly polarized and you should be fine. Yellow and light amber are good for low light conditions, gray green is pretty good as well but color is more natural and also better for very bright days, sort of an all around color, and dark gray or black is good for the brightest days but horrible for evenings. I got prescription gray greens because they were 50% off if you got a regular pair, but they’re normally very (really, think $350) expensive especially with the frames I got. However, the frames I chose have the added benefit of being made from flexible nickel-titanium, or Nitinol, which is fine when sat or stepped on. I really just got them because of the sale.

Anyway, everyone has different head shapes so find a pair that fits well! Go to a fly shop (bike shops should carry a good selection as well) and try some on. If they’ll let you. Offer to sanitize the glasses you try on yourself so they don’t have to and they may be more amenable.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Moved reply
Last edited by ffftroutbum on 02/13/21 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Never had Costas, have been through two sets of Maui Jims, Best bet -- at any price == has been my Smith Action Optics Lochsa model with the bifocal magnifier. They are entering their fourth season of 100% satisfaction having seen me through two cataract surgeries.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

gray rider

Post by gray rider »

I like Smith in chromapop bronze lenses (but not mirror) for shallow water fishing. .
Sometimes there are good deals on Sierra Trading Post.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Eye protection is not a place I try to save money. Comfort is essential. They are on your face for long periods of time. For me it is Maui Jim's for fishing and Silhouettes for general use. They're worth every cent.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Any recommended polarized wrap arounds for us eyeglasses wearers?

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

After years of just buying the Bill Dance or Roland Martin cheapies at Walmart I bought a pair of Costa shades from our Classified at a fair price. Yes, good glasses definitely make for better viewing and less eye fatigue. Didn't seem to matter as much years ago but now there are two things I don't cheap on anymore. Glasses and shoes. Save the cheaping for clothes since young girls now get the door for me instead of the other way around.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Sierra Trading Post usually a nice selection of quality sunglasses for 25% to 50% or more off. First quality just discounted styles.

Tom

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Look for brand named Cocoons

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

tabrods406 wrote:
06/27/21 10:04
Sierra Trading Post usually a nice selection of quality sunglasses for 25% to 50% or more off. First quality just discounted styles.

Tom
Agree 100%. My wife likes their Coyote brand Polaroid bifocals. Nicely priced.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

jwbowen

Post by jwbowen »

I have Maui's, Smith Guides and various others. I prefer the Smith (amber) lowlight ignitors
for most of my shady mountain fishing. The lens are more smudge/scratch proof than
my low end glass. I have the "lowlight ignitor" in 2 different frames. The Guide frame
is very wide and doesn't let much breeze through. The other frame is very narrow
and I wear it more. The Maui's were purchased with "reader lens" so I could tie
on flies. However, the bifocal lens makes it difficult for me to see boulders as
well when I am wading:(.

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

I have to agree on Maui Jim. I have tried many different brands over the years, but for the last decade it has solely been Maui Jim. Outstanding quality with a lifetime warranty. Crisp and clear.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

I learned with sun glasses for fishing you get what you pay for. That being said I use Costa Tuna Alley.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Return to “General discussion”