Touch up bluing

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

klingon
Master Guide

Touch up bluing

Post by klingon »

I have a revolver that has a couple of spots where the finish is worn off, from a poor fitting inexpensive holster. Is there a recommendation for a chemical available for spot touchups? I've never touched up bluing before so any suggestions would be appreciated.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Touch up bluing

Post by jhuskey »

I would suggest Birchwood Casey - Perma Blue Paste Gun Blue... my tube states it is gun blue for steel, touch-up or complete reblue.

John :pipe

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Birchwood Casey is definitely the stuff for firearms - don't make the mistake of using their products on fishing reels, though.

They make a felt-tip bluing pen that is the best for localized touch-ups.

Localized bluing will not take if any oils are present (including fingerprints). Swipe a few times with denatured alcohol, of course letting it flash dry before you try bluing.

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

Thank-you both. I'll give it a try. If it just darkens the spots, I'll be happy.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

With the paste you can be fairly precise - use magnifying glasses and toothpick to apply. The pen Ron mentions sounds great also - I've not seen that but my tube of Parma Blue will have something in it when I croak :lol so not like I'm shopping for more.......

John :pipe

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

jhuskey wrote:...use magnifying glasses and toothpick to apply....
Yeah. You'll still get an "overrun" here and there, where the new laps onto the old and can be darker than everything else.

Stick with the magnifier and toothpick, and reach a little deeper in your cabinet for a tube of the old style toothpaste, which is a mild abrasive. Use the toothpick to rub the darker areas with that to tone them down a bit. Over larger areas (as when your touchup is darker than the surroundings) use a Q-tip with the toothpaste to tone it down, even blend the edges a bit.

On a related note: ALWAYS carry a rag and solvent when examining a used gun for purchase, and rub it down.

Old gunsmith's crooked trick: Hit the worn bluing on a gun you're selling with a black Sharpie to hide the dings. A $3 Sharpie and 5 minutes work can earn you several hundred buxx in used gun value.

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

Tip from old gunsmith. I liked Birchwood Caseys liquid touch up blue better than the paste. Clean the area with Acetone, then use Q tips to judiciously apply several times, blending in a little more each time, and wiping down firmly with an old, clean towel between coats. Yes, you'll take some off, but a little more color will be left each time, and the final result will be worth it and more durable. Wipe down with your favorite gun oil when finished.

Doing it this way will have little final effect on the surrounding factory blue as you blend in the worn areas.

BB

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

denatured alcohol will clean "cleaner" than acetone
using the B-C bluing pen is essentially the exact same technique, but a felt-tip pen in place of a q-tip

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

bulldog1935 wrote:Birchwood Casey is definitely the stuff for firearms - don't make the mistake of using their products on fishing reels, though.
Ron, I've used B/C's Aluminum Black for touch-ups on reels with much success for years.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

PoudreCanyon
Sport

Post by PoudreCanyon »

I just keep my firearms clean with very light oil and enjoy the patina. A firearm that I am comfortable and proficient with is bound to look like it has been used but well maintained. The patina holds memories like dings on a bamboo fly rod.a

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

bulldog1935 wrote:Birchwood Casey... make a felt-tip bluing pen that is the best for localized touch-ups.
That's great stuff. I've used it for years with complete satisfaction in about 90% of the applications.

He's a clue for anyone buying a used firearm:

Carry a rag and rubbing alcohol when you inspect the arm, and give it a good rub down. I've watched unscrupulous individuals and shop owners spend about 10 minutes with a black Sharpie "touching up" wear and scratches. Looks pretty convincing at a glance and adds considerably to the sale price for their time. You'll flat pizz off the seller rubbing it down with that rag, but you'll sure save yourself some heartburn when those bare spots pop up and your rag comes away black.

Return to “General discussion”