Painting an aluminum angling boat...?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

annieedson

Painting an aluminum angling boat...?

Post by annieedson »

I as of late bought a 14' semi v aluminum angling watercraft. The vessel was initially bought in the 1980s. While the structure is in great condition - need a paint work. I'd like to think I have really great mechanical capacities... is it hard to paint an aluminum vessel? What do I have to do? Much obliged!

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Painting an aluminum angling boat...?

Post by fishbum »

DuPont has a system to paint aluminum. You have to first clean, then etch, and then treat with Alodine. This is the same system used to paint aluminum aircraft. The material can be purchased from Wag-Areo, Aircraft Spruce, or some other aircraft parts supply house.

Jerry

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Back in the mid-70s (pre-internet, etc.), I bought a 17' square stern aluminum canoe for duck hunting. Because I didn't know any better, I simply painted it with a dull, brown paint -- no prep, no special "stuff" -- and it lasted just fine until I sold it about 7-8 years later.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Doublehauler
Master Guide

Post by Doublehauler »

I have a 16" aluminum drift boat, I bought it used, it had a hideous brown paint job. Nothing against the color brown, this was just a bad job. So I decided to change the color. Being partial to green, especially British Racing Green, it was predetermined what color would be used. I did have the brown paint job blasted off. A fellow here in my town had the equipment to do that, and instead of blasting abrasive, he used a soda product. I am ignorant of what that means, but he said the result would be a smoother surface instead of a sand blasted finish. Having sand blasted many ship's hulls in my working years, I know what an abrasive blast can do to steel, much less aluminum. I used Rustoleum spray cans of paint from the local hardware store, and now about 10 years or more later, the paint job is still intact and in very good shape. In spite of many unintentional meetings with rocks, boulders, gravel bars, floating debris, boat trailers and such, it still looks good.

Jim Johnson
Bigfork, Montana

PetrovJ

Post by PetrovJ »

It is hard to paint an aluminum boat and achieving a look that lasts requires careful attention to details. Alumaweld can help. They goes the extra mile using its eight step painting process that results in a finish that's durable and deep. Here, I post with other info resources. http://www.alumaweldboats.com/paint-process.htm, http://www.craigmarine.info/yacht_boat/ ... hing_boat/

mcfly

Post by mcfly »

I used camo spray paint from Lowes, which makes it a good duck hunting boat too. Cheap, protective, and durable.

Return to “General discussion”