Goertzen leather goods

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

MDelp

Goertzen leather goods

Post by MDelp »

Does anyone have experience with using a Goertzen fly fishing bag, creel style, made by this gentleman? Really fine work, but pricey. I sometimes use a Wood River Bag, but am always poking around looking for something else.

yrs,

Mike
"I want to die in the saddle, an enemy of civilization."

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Goertzen leather goods

Post by ablecane »

Used both the shoulder bag and the chest models for years. Pricey, but worth every penny.
Great stuff and great service from Joe.

shifty242
Sport

Post by shifty242 »

I have had my eye on one of those bags for a while. Great question MDelp and thanks for the response ablecane!

mbjrl
Guide

Post by mbjrl »

I have the bag and really like it. l have plenty of room for fly boxes,leader wallet,a knife,tippet, grease and a cell phone in a waterproof zip bag.
I hang my net on the back loop and I'm ready to fish.
The more I use it the better it looks.
Mike B

mbjrl
Guide

Post by mbjrl »

One thing I would add is the options for wearing the bag.
I like mine over my left shoulder and hanging at my left hip with the strap around my waist.
The strap keeps the bag tight to my side and doesn't flop around.
You may want to carry it another way but this works best for me
I hope this helps, if you need pics or have any questions you can PM me any time
Mike Bowser

DM65

Post by DM65 »

They are really good bags that will last a lifetime and the maker is good to deal with. I highly recommend!

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

A couple of questions for those who use this bag. Do you have any problem with the weight as far as strain on your neck or shoulder? How easy is it to access the main pocket for tippet spools, etc. while fishing? What types of fly boxes are included with the bag?

I like the basic design of the Goertzen, but I'm still a little goosey about giving up my much-loved and well worn Goldeneye vest; about fifteen years and counting and still in perfect shape save for some fading.

Thanks,

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

I'm 66 and I've used mine 7/8 years now and have experienced no discomfort using it hiking to or fishing. I usually wade back to the bank for any major rigging changes but change flies, etc. mid stream without bag access problems.
It came with decent foam lined aluminum boxes that I replaced with my own because I didn't want to fiddle with taking flies out of one box just to put them in another.

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

My bag is shown below, it was almost free but its suits me just fine. I just recently purchased a Tonka Prince. That rod certainly won't impress anyone but it casts well enough to suit me. The reel shown in the pic is worth a lot more than the Tonka Prince but that won't stop me from using it in combo with the blue collar rod. I don't believe matching the rod and reel by price or value is necessary.

mcfly

Post by mcfly »

The Goertzen bags are comfortable and will take abuse. You will probably pass it down to your grandkids.

mbjrl
Guide

Post by mbjrl »

Eric, the way I wear my bag over the left shoulder and on my left hip is very comfortable to me. I load the bag pretty full at times and have never had a problem with my shoulder or neck.
I can't wear any weight around my neck, a lanyard is out of the questions for me.

I will say one problem I have encountered is wading to deep and getting it wet but that is what you get with a bag on your hip.

The boxes are"ok" but I replaced mine with a compartment box and a fly wallet
The bags are expensive but they look great and are very functional IF a bag is whst you like.

If you like a vest, a bag won't work
If you like a lanyard , same thing
If you like a bag this one is a very nice one.
Hope that helps.

Mike

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Many thanks for the feedback on my "comfort" question. I'm still a bit leery on making the leap from a vest, having been a "vest person" for over 50 years. The problem is I've gotten very accustomed to carrying too much stuff, and I'm trying to "force break" the habit. :)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

Eric, A mutual friend of ours - Jay Herbert - saw my Goertzen bag, bought one and has never looked back replacing his vest. I can bring mine by if you want to see it and try it out.

Regarding deeper water, I tend to use my Richardson Chest Box or Goertzen Lanyard if I know I will be in water waist deep or higher frequently. I'm also a big fan of the lanyard which holds a single fly box.

I read in December he opened a store in Missoula. Congrats to Joe.

Return to “General discussion”