Silk lines

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

DaveV
Sport

Silk lines

Post by DaveV »

I have a question about fly fishing with silk line . I was wondering at what temperature you have to stop fishing it.

klingon
Master Guide

Re: Silk lines

Post by klingon »

I fish my silk when its comfortably above freezing (air temp). I give it room and stop around 40 deg F.

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

I stop using them when primary season is over. Around September. When they start to get stiff when you are using them, it is too cold. Change to plastic. That way you don't risk a breakage in the coating.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

DaveV
Sport

Post by DaveV »

Which leads to my next question. Do you fish your bamboo rods through winter ?

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

No, I do not. End of season, I clean them up and hang them on a wall in the basement where the temperature is even and the air is good. In their cloth bags of course. Heavy end down.

End of season for me is when the temperature mid-day stays around 10 celcius. (typically start of oktober)
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I just saw this thread. I fish my bamboo and silk lines below freezing and not had a problem.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I rarely use silk lines because I don't like the fuss, but I have a couple and have used them year round, though I don't think I've ever used them below freezing.

I have certainly used my bamboo fly rods below freezing and have never had any issues at all with them. I might give them an extra few days out of the bag to thoroughly dry out - don't put a wet rod away. I don't like to fish them in a downpour because I don't like to have to leave them out for a longer periods (danger of someone - like me - doing something stupid) but I certainly have, with no issues at all.

Pat

Return to “General discussion”