Sound when casting bamboo?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

JoeFriday
Sport

Sound when casting bamboo?

Post by JoeFriday »

Ok, here's a stupid question...

I just finished building up my first bamboo rod. It's a 3/2 hollowbuilt hex 7'9" 4wt. with 3 coats of spar varnish. Everything looks ok, but it makes a very noticeable woosh sound when casting. You can probably hear it 40 feet away. I thought this was only common with pentas. I have next to no experience with bamboo so I'm wondering if this is normal?
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.

holla999
Sport

Re: Sound when casting bamboo?

Post by holla999 »

JoeFriday wrote:Ok, here's a stupid question...

I just finished building up my first bamboo rod. It's a 3/2 hollowbuilt hex 7'9" 4wt. with 3 coats of spar varnish. Everything looks ok, but it makes a very noticeable woosh sound when casting. You can probably hear it 40 feet away. I thought this was only common with pentas. I have next to no experience with bamboo so I'm wondering if this is normal?
please start with casting slower and do not double haul.
you are casting with something very different then a carbon rod.
let the rod do the work, you have to relax.
greetings from Holland
Peter

JoeFriday
Sport

Post by JoeFriday »

in other words, it's not normal for a hex rod to make a lot of noise when casting?

JoeFriday
Sport

Post by JoeFriday »

I changed lines and all seems to be good now. Thanks for the suggestion to slow down. It is a bit slow than my glass rods.

Return to “General discussion”