Orvis bamboo fly rods

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

raven4ns
Guide

Orvis bamboo fly rods

Post by raven4ns »

Hello,
Did Orvis ever make a fast action bamboo rod for trout fishing? I am looking for a bamboo rod 7'6", 4wt to replace my graphite rods with the same specifications including a fast action. Thank you for any and all help.

Tim
Regards,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

klingon
Master Guide

Re: Orvis bamboo fly rods

Post by klingon »

If fast action is your bag, stay with carbon. Its a lot lighter and faster than bamboo. On the other hand, if you slow down and let the bamboo rod take over, you may really get to love it.

raven4ns
Guide

Post by raven4ns »

Thank you, Klingon, for your suggestion. The two bamboo rods I Have now in the 4wt category are too slow which is why I'm looking for a faster rod. I have always admired the Orvis rods but have never fished one. Here in Nova Scotia, I am clearly in the minority fishing with bamboo rods. Thank you again for your response.

Tim
Regards,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I think the Orvis answer is no, no fast rods. I would suggest you contact modern makers to build you a fast 4 wt. - if you want a bamboo rod. Glass may be a better material, with faster tapers in 4 wt. but still a relative softer feel than graphite and closer to bamboo.

jasalvas13
Sport

Post by jasalvas13 »

From my experience Orvis makes a "fast" rod. I have had two 7'6" 3 7/8 rods and with a DT5... Fast rod and not the best load was achieved. I also had a 7/4 (7' 4WT), this was a 3 piece and also a fast rod. Over he years I have gravitated to SLOW rods... Even with the fiberglass superfine line that was recently re-introduced to the market were fast rods...
I haven't cast any bamboo rods that have the same specs as a graphite rod... Good luck with your search!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raven4ns
Guide

Post by raven4ns »

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond. It seems I need to try bamboo rods that are rated medium to fast to get an adequate idea of what is available and how they feel. Unfortunately, this is impossible in Nova Scotia which makes my task all the more difficult.
Thank you again for your help it is appreciated.
Regards,

Tim

Greyquill
Sport

Post by Greyquill »

I had an Orvis Madison Adirondack, 1 tip, 2pc, 7 1/2', 4 1/8oz, rated for a WF5. With its swelled butt, it was pretty fast for a bamboo rod using a DT4 line. It was made in the late 90's by Ron White.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I too found the 7'6 Adirondack, as well as the 7' Penn's Creek, fast by Orvis bamboo standards when used with the recommended lines. However, Orvis clearly doesn't consider them fast when stacked up against their graphite rods. The Orvis website describes both as "full" flexing.
For production rods made in the 40s and 50s, your best bet might be with an 8-foot Heddon 2F taper or a Granger 7030. These are somewhat faster rods than their contemporaries, in my experience. Some of the shorter Hardy rods are also pretty fast.
I agree that you probably won't find many bamboo rods that feel fast to you if you're used to fishing graphite, but bamboo has other considerations that make it desirable for casting, and Klingon's advice to slow down and let the rod take over is exactly right.
Jhuskey is also right that you might want to contact a bamboo rodmaker and find out if a rod can be built that would come close to what you're looking for.
Good luck!

raven4ns
Guide

Post by raven4ns »

Thanks, guys, for your comments and suggestions. I love the look of the Orvis rods, the color of the bamboo just appeals to me. Because I am retired, price is a consideration and all of the custom made rods are out of my reach. My knowledge of bamboo is very limited so most of the questions I ask is to help expand my knowledge i.e. initially I was asking about a stiff bamboo rod when I should have been asking about a fast rod.
I thank all on this site for your patience as well as answering my questions. It is truly appreciated.
Regards,

Tim

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Hi Tim,

Not what you're specifically after, but the 7-foot, 11/64-ferrule, 3 3/8-oz Battenkill, "99" & Madison, and the lightweight Superfine variant has a fast action. Orvis recommended a WF6 line for it, but I believe most anglers fish them with a 5-weight line. The forum member I bought mine from preferred it with a DT4. It's a nice rod for small to medium-sized trout streams.

Orvis made other fast-action trout rods, the 7 1/2-foot, 13/64-ferrule, 4-oz taper (IMO best with 6-wt) and the 6 1/2-foot, 11/64-ferrule, 2 7/8-oz taper (probably best with a 5-wt) come to mind. The former is close to graphite fast.

Best regards,
Greg

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I can understand the charm of dark bamboo, but why bother with chasing an action that bamboo simply doesn't cover well, that being a rod intentionally mislabeled as two weights under its actual rating that flexes in the last six inches? There are a dozens and dozens of graphite rods, inexpensive to overpriced, that do the "fast" thing without maintenance issues and having lifetime warranties. No disrespect intended, but how can a four weight bamboo rod not be fast enough to fish what a true four weight is intended to fish? If a person expects a four weight to blast 80 feet into a stiff wind and lob split shot, they are used to the Sage version of 4 weight, which is a six weight.
Shrimpy

P.S.- I wish I could have sexy bamboo to cover all of my needs, too, but some situations just call for shelving my archaic sensibilities and fishing a graphite broomstick. :)

holla999
Sport

Post by holla999 »

Ever heard of the rods from Brunner, Austria?
they are really fast action!!
greetings from Holland
Peter

LordRipon
Sport

Post by LordRipon »

The Orvis Battenkill 7'6" 4 ounce (Not the 3-7/8 Ounce!) was retailed both as a 6wt and as a 7wt over the years. It is truly a 6wt and I would say its as brisk of a piece of bamboo as orvis has ever made. Its as fast as 20 year old moderate action graphite that many of us on this board also enjoy.

It's a fairly uncommon rod but it doesn't seem to sell for huge money because most bamboo collectors like slow to moderate rods.

Prices seem to go from $400-$650 from the usual suspects.

pupnick+1

Post by pupnick+1 »

holla999 wrote:Ever heard of the rods from Brunner, Austria?
they are really fast action!!
greetings from Holland
Peter
Also try finding one of Rolf Baginski's original taper rods. I had one, it was a fast taper. It was also a beautiful rod.

If you are interested in a new one, send me a PM. I will direct you to a rod dealer who has one.

Return to “General discussion”