2nd annual Vermont Gathering

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

2nd annual Vermont Gathering

Post by kimk »

Last years gathering just happened to be the weekend after the Catskill rod makers gathering. All seemed to agree that this worked well, and that we should repeat it in 2019.
So-- the Second Annual Vermont Bamboo Gathering will be held the weekend of Sept. 13 -->Sept 15.
Same location, Arlington/Manchester Vt. I will have a site at Camping on the Battenkill which will allow us use of the field for casting, a site for sitting and talking, and a bit of river to play in.
Camp sites are available for those who like to camp, and lodging of every variety is available in Arlington and Manchester.
For family members who like to shop, Manchester is outlet city.
AgMD

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 2nd annual Vermont Gathering

Post by headwaters »

Thanks for the notice, and for setting it up again, Kim! I enjoyed the show last year, and I hope my schedule can accommodate it again.

Rupert

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Rupert,
Good to hear from you. Hope to see you there.
AgMD

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Update:
The plan for the gathering is fairly casual. I will be in camp Thurs Sept 12 and welcome any other early birds to stop by. Fri is for fishing, lawn casting in camp and folks who just want to sit around my site and swap lies are welcome. Bring a lawn chair. If anyone has an interest in local things to do or see, PM me and I will offer all I know.
Sat is the big day.
At 10:00 AM we meet at the American Museum of Fly Fishing for a private viewing of a few select rods, possibly some reels and a general tour of the museum.
Then we take a short stroll across the parking lot to Orvis where we can cast any rods in stock including bamboo.
Lunch is at Chauncy's.
Back to camp for casting.
Although we only had a few attendees last year we had an incredible selection of rods to try out. And more than a few reels that were worthy of note.
For folks who wish to camp, there should be no difficulty in reserving a site. Mention you are part of the group and would like a site near the field.
For folks who would prefer other lodging, Arlington and Manchester have a wide variety of options from motels, B&B's and inns, to grand hotels such as the Equinox. Post summer season and pre leaf peeper season there should be no problem making a reservation. If anyone would like assistance or recommendations, PM me and I will do my best.
I look forward to seeing all of you.
AgMD

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

Hi Kim,

I missed last year's event however I'm planning on attending Saturday and will bring some of my Leonard, Granger, FE Thomas and Young rods for folks to cast. Thank you for hosting this special Vermont event. -tomVT

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Tom
Good to hear you will be there. I look forward to seeing you.
AgMD

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Kim,
Sorry but I wont be able to make it this year. I hope to be salmon fishing at about the same time that you plan the gathering.
Bruce

Dylan518
Guide

Post by Dylan518 »

I'm getting married that weekend :(

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

Bruce, Dylan,
Sorry to hear you will not be there. I suppose that there are certain things that might be more important. Certainly Salmon fishing is, and I suppose that getting married might also be important.
Bruce -- Catch the big one!
Dylan -- Best wishes to you and your bride.
AgMD

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

Hey Kim,
You have room for a last minute participant?
I've been eye-balling the event for a while but wasn't sure if I could make it until now.
-John

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

John
Absolutely!! Bring any rods that you have and try out some rods brought by others.
We will depart camp for the AMFF Sat. at 9:45, so join join us at camp early or at the AMFF at 10:00
Look forward to seeing you.
Kim

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

Great Kim!
I just reserved a spot at the campground and will be seeing you late afternoon or this evening.
I'll bring a few rods.
Look forward to meeting everyone.
-John

JPMarci
Master Guide

Post by JPMarci »

Kim
My weekend plans were cancelled so I am free to stop by. What time do you expect to be back from lunch.
John

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

All depends on time spent at AMFF, Orvis, and lunch, but I would guess somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00. A very rough estimate.
Hope to see you there.
AgMD Kimk

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

Thanks Kim, Tom, Dale and all the other guys who showed up for the VT Bamboo rod gathering. It was great meeting you all and casting the many rods on hand. I found the visit to the American Museum of Fly Fishing and the tour given us of the archives by deputy director Yoshi Akiyama to be particularly fascinating. Here's a shot from the weekend. Looking forward to the next gathering. -John

JPMarci
Master Guide

Post by JPMarci »

I agree, many thanks for putting this together. Had fun and even got to cast a couple of PY rods for the first time.

John

OtherFishermanFromVT

Post by OtherFishermanFromVT »

What a fun and learning experience the gathering was. The Museum curator showed us items not on public display (like Lefty Kreh's first vise and a salmon fly tied in 1791); we lawn casted Orvis's bamboo rods; and the best part was everyone sharing their knowledge and rods. Thank you all. Let's do it again next year.
The Other Fisherman From VT,
Dale

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Sounds like I missed out, last year was special, I hope I can get lined up for 2020.

Somebody must have additional pics to share?

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

I guess I was distracted by the events and didn't make photographs as I normally would. But here's a couple more shots from the weekend. Lefty Kreh's (first?) fly tying vise, a shot inside the museum, and some of the guys casting rods at the Orvis store.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”