...>BambooBash20 Central<...

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

tunafart
Master Guide

...>BambooBash20 Central<...

Post by tunafart »

{I won't change the announcement format much this year, it seems to work!
…….....................… but do check for '20'-program upgrades!}
BambooBash20
23, 24 & 25 April 2020
Townsend TN

.....….It's ON and Official! ..... and once again, it will be HQ'd at:
Docks Motel [865/448.2234] off US321 in Townsend Tennessee!
{on-site rooms are limited, call early and ask for Sharon … tell her you're with The Bash}
~On the banks of the Little River, and at the
'quiet' doorstep of Great Smoky Mountains National Park~
The BambooBash + April + Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is one of those Great Combinations that just can't be beat,
and the 2020 event has a few exciting new twists!
If you have been before, you'll certainly recognize the casual Bash 'non-schedule' of
...............… Friends, Food, Fishing & Fine Vintage Tackle.
If you are considering a first-time visit, and need a push, just consider this:
BambooBash is like a live, 3-day version of the CFRF, including:
....- all the genuine comradery the Forum members are known for,
…..- with all their fly-fishing expertise, authentic tackle and stories gladly shared,
……- great food probably NOT on your doctor's 'recommended' list, and
……- plenty of fishing the cherished, wild waters of the Smokies in glorious spring bloom.

The Casting Lawn……….For the entire (3-day) Bash duration there will be an impressive amount of Cane in evidence, strung and offered for test casting on the Docks' celebrated Casting Lawn. This is a Great Opportunity we often mention here on CFRF to experience different rod actions, complete with all manner of support tackle and No Shortage of independent, non-commercial opinions about their use, abilities and worth. The LineLab will be back this year (!) expanded and organized by LineBoss Doug to offer -30!- different modern fly lines for test casting on literally dozens of vintage and new bamboo rods! Have a question about the right line for Your new rod?? Bring it to the Bash and test out lines on the Casting Lawn!!

………………………..So here's the Schedule for BambooBash20:
April 23 (Thur) will officially kick off the festivities with the Bamboo Grill-out at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. It is located about 20 scenic minutes east of Townsend in GSMNP (Little River Gorge Rd x Wears Cove Gap Rd) on the banks of the Little River. Right around 1pm we'll start gathering at the Area's lower end (look for the Bash sign) to share the ambiance only the Little River can provide, chow down on Really Fine Picnic Fare, trade fishing stories with old & new friends and commence the Great Smoky Tackle Swap. Bring tackle you have outgrown, under-used or want to pass on/sell to other Bashers. Prepare To Dicker!
As usual, the food will be stellar and again highlighted by the famous Grilled Specialties of the 'R&R Deli', aka: good 'ole Rich & Ray. {R&R Deli + some homemade potluck has been THE secret to this event - just sayin'.} Think of it as the best excuse for a pot-luck you can have!
If you have a prideful recipe to share (hey Vern!!) bring it along! Some BYOB (and ice) and a comfortable camp chair will make the Swapping and Sharing all the more good.
.....{BTW: The Little River pools at Metcalf really do hold good fish! . . . 'nuff said.}

April 25 & 26 (Fri & Sat) starting at 10am, and in the upstairs classroom of Townsend Bash-sponsor Little River Outfitters
we will once again offer two of the popular TackleTalk segments, with this year's theme being:
............'A Deep Look Into the Little River Watershed'
Many of us have attended the Bash here in Townsend for years, and have fished the well-known runs and riffles of the clear Park waters often. But the clear waters of the Little River flowing past Dock's have traveled from far upstream, through wild canyons, over rugged rock slides, through chutes and runs unseen and unfished for many more miles than any of us can claim to know. We have invited two professionals, a scientist and a noted pro guide, to share two distinct profiles of the Little River on Friday and Saturday morning.

On 24April (Friday) morning we will host a discussion by Matt Kulp, the Supervisory Fishery Biologist of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Matt has planned and implemented the Park's management objectives for native fish restoration, threatened and endangered fish reintroduction and monitoring, and conducted long-term water quality and fisheries monitoring on the world-class waters we all cherish since 2014. We will learn about what it took to plan and implement the restoration of Brook Trout to Lynn Camp Prong and what it takes to monitor & maintain a wild trout population in the Little River Watershed though the heart of the most-visited National Park in our country.
On 25April (Saturday) morning we will follow up with a discussion from Pro Guide Charity Rutter of R&R Fly Fishing, based right here in Townsend. Charity is a nationally-known professional that has been guiding fly fishers like us for years through the small, medium and big waters of the National Park and beyond. She has waded the runs, floated the pools and seen the fish for years in those obscure and well-known reaches of the Little River. She has a colorful presentation and can answer your 'on-this-river' tackle questions like no other. Charity will be the first woman to host a TackleTalk session and can bring a new point-of-view to our experience of fishing the wide watershed -the branches, prongs and side-creeks- of the Little River.

………The BambooBash is a great way to:
……..- improve your casting (or maybe reveal your talent)
……..- expand your understanding of all aspects of bamboo fly fishing,
………- make some great, lasting friendships, and
………- maybe even find some new tackle!!

This thread will remained pinned and act as the clearing house for all Bash matters.
Feel free to post your comments and questions here!

Paul
Charleston SC
Last edited by tunafart on 12/14/19 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: ...>BambooBash20 Central<...

Post by narcodog »

I already have my reservations...

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Reservation is complete! I will be bringing plenty of rods to cast....some new and original tapers! Paul, you forgot to add that the line lab table sometimes has several bottles of good bourbon for testing too :D

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Made reservations in April. (Hey Paul) I'll be bring the gravlax. I'll have some rods to play with and a few rods, reels, etc to sell or trade.
Looking forward to it. Always a good time.
Vern

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

My reservations are in. I’m more than ready for winter to end and get some fresh mountain air. I’ll have a bunch of rods to try. I admit I may have got a little carried away with Paul Young tapers but I am trying to correct that. I have a good number of rods on the board by other makers. The bash is the best time you can have without fear of arrest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Reservations were made in April and the 2020 Bash can not get here quick enough!

Friends, flyrods, fishing, and food … it just don't get any better than that :pipe

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Sounds like a great line up Paul, you'll enjoy Charity's presentation and Matt is a super guy who has been with the park long enough to know it inside and out. Looking forward to it.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Did you remember to order great weather???

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

This looks interesting!

Tom

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

czkid wrote:Did you remember to order great weather???
You bet I did!, but . . . .
turns out, the online form for ordering the Appalachian Spring weather has now been revised
to leave off the 'great' qualifier, and now only lets you order 'weather'
with some kind of lame disclaimer about an upcharge . . . .

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Arrrrrrgh!!!!

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

upstate wrote:This looks interesting!

Tom
Tom, it's a very loose laid back gathering with none pretentious folks.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

narcodog wrote:
upstate wrote:This looks interesting!

Tom
Tom, it's a very loose laid back gathering with none pretentious folks.
That's good Bob because as you know I am very shy. :rolleyes

Tom

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

I am booked at Docks.

As Paul noted, we’ll have nearly 30 Pflueger 1494 spools with popular 5 and 4wt lines. We have 6 x 1494 bodies, each with a unique foot to insure we have a good fit on every reel seat. Rio Gold and Mainstream, Peach WF and DT, Wulff LB and TT, SA Amplitude, the $8.95 Amazon Maxcatch lines, H&H,Sylk lines and more. All lines have the same leaders to insure a fair comparison.

Also 8 x 1495 spools and bodies with 6, 7 and 8 weight lines from SA, Rio and others.

I’ll be sharing several 1950’s Paul Young rods. The Midge, Martha Marie, Perfectionist, Para 15, Para 16, Para 17s, along with an Ace or two, a Prosperity and perhaps a few others. I’ve been on a binge with Bob Lancaster rods. Bob’s versions of the Perfectionist, Driggs, Para 15 (a pack rod) and Midge (also a pack rod) are coming along. Adding to the pack rod list we’ll have a terrific SB 291, a Phillipson Smuggler and an Orvis Fly/Spin.

I can’t wait to cast the latest creations from the builders who attend. Kentucky Jim and Munsey always have unique rods on hand.

Most importantly, looking forward to seeing everyone.

The food is spectacular. Rich and Ray are amazing cooks. Vern, your gravlax is adult candy.

Always anxious to see what goodies are offered for sale and trade. I hope to have several reels to offer as I did last year.

Thank you Paul for your efforts organizing this fantastic gathering.

Doug
Last edited by chestatee on 01/28/20 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

You can count me in as usual. I've already made my reservation at Dock's. Room #1 as of now.

Paul, the lineup looks great once again for this year. Glad to see the line lab making a return, that was a real hit last year.

It will be great to see everybody again!

Brian
Last edited by BGreer on 01/03/20 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Well, just called Docks and they're fully booked for those days. Guess I'll be looking nearby, unless someone has a room to split.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Keep trying Bill!
I spoke with Docks this morning at 9am and was told there was ONE room available in the old motel wing.
And the 'bunkhouse' is still available for an organized group, up to six.
And one of the 'honeymoon' cabins, actually quite a nice layout.

Karen (Sharon's partner-in-crime at Docks) pledged to keep a 'stand-by' list of all who request rooms and will make them available on a first-come basis in the case of cancellations. There very well might be a few, but she also said that her bookings that week were almost exclusively . . . us :-\ . . . so that might be few in number.

There are, however, six more motel-types in town and two decent campgrounds, all of which on inquiry yesterday had rooms and space available. Karen said they typically refer their 'overflow' to the Riverstone Lodge a half-mile or so down the road. If YOU find a good alternative, POST IT HERE!
DON"T GIVE UP! It's a ways to April!

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Thanks Paul, I will. I left a message when I called because they close at 2pm (right now) and I didn't see your PM until after 2pm EST.

Update: Spoke to Karen just now and I'm all squared away now with a reservation at Docks. Thanks again Paul for calling them after I spoke to them the first time.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Thanks to to our industroius Bash leader, we now have an incredible 'home' for the ever expanding 'Line Lab'. As you can see, Paul/Tunafart is both creative and brilliant. This unique box has it all! Functional, stylish and conscientious recycling of WWII materials.

We have added 4wt lines to the mix this year, along with an array of 7, 8 and 9wt lines.

We have WF and DT lines from 406 (WF and DT), Rio (Gold and Mainstream), H&H, Wulff (TT and LB), SA (Amplitude), Laser/Maxcatch (the infamous $8.95 lines), Cortland Peach and Sylk (WF and DT), and a few others.

The 4, 5 and 6wt lines are spooled on Pflueger 1494 spools. We have 6 different 1494 bodies, each with a unique foot to assure a fit on the most finicky seats. The heavier lines are on 1495 spools/bodies.

Thank you Paul!

Doug

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

Wow! Thanks for your amazing effort! You have really taken the line challenge to a whole new level. Last year was a real eye opener for me. I would never have guessed at the difference a line could make. I definitely have some rods I want to match to a better performing line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”