An idea for a gathering

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

An idea for a gathering

Post by bassman »

I have seen a few different things done by builders for comparison at a gathering but I'd love to go to one that had each builder participating bring two rod of identical taper and length but one solid and one hollowed by one of the methods used. It would be a great comparison to see the difference in something other than just weight and though I probably am not good enough to tell minor differences the really experienced could and I could probably tell a difference, or at least which one fit me better.

Nick

mrampant
Master Guide

Re: An idea for a gathering

Post by mrampant »

I have participated in just this that you have mentioned. There was the option of either PHY perfectionist 4wt or Dickerson 7613; 5wt. A few builders participated with a total of 18 makers and about 40 rods made in one or the other. The brief was either (or both), in a single variance. Either hollow or multi piece or a different type of glue. I think everyone agreed that all the variants could be identified as to which style of rod it was based on. The original rods of the clones were made by Nick Taransky. The hollow rods definitely had more zing. I personally made a 2 and 3 piece of both and hollowed them; the Dickerson 2piece hollow is my favourite 5 weight that I have used to date. The solid was nice but hollowing made it recover quicker and to me seemed to have more punch.
The consensus across the board was that the hollowing gave both rods more zip; whether that was a plus or not. Different types of hollowing techniques were used as well in the rods that were hollowed.
I personally think that almost any person that has a degree of casting proficiency would be able to notice a difference between a solid and hollow rod of the same pattern. The differences become greater as the rod line weight increases.
my AUD$0.02
Cheers,Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: An idea for a gathering

Post by bassman »

Thanks for that Mark. I don't have a rod to compare it to but the hollowed Penta I have fits your description of what I'd expect in a hollowed rod. Love the rod and it a great fit for my casting abilities. My two favorite rods are Pentas and I believe both are hollowed.

Nick

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”