2020 Catskills Rodmakers Gathering

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

mikec
Guide

Re: 2020 Catskills Rodmakers Gathering

Post by mikec »

just reviewed jed dempsey's interview with Hap Mills. almost 2 hours of the story of leonard rod company. incredible stuff.
mike

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Very exciting! can't wait to see it.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

For those who signed up, the presentations are available to view, and the auction is open as well. I would encourage all of you to watch as many of the presentations as you can in advance of the Saturday Zoom session. There will be some opportunities to ask questions, so watch the items that most interest you. I will have the details on the timing of the Saturday sessions shortly.
If you are signed up, and did not get the email from the Catskill Center giving you the the access to the online content, let me know via PM and I will get it taken care of.

creeksideangler

Post by creeksideangler »

Where do you access the two hours of the Hap Mills interview, I only see 45 minutes. Thanks, Mo

mikec
Guide

Post by mikec »

sorry mo, i know we have more, but after editing and file transfer limitations, i made a mistake. we hope to add more content into the fall. hopefully we can get more of hap, and hoagy, and bob summers.
my apologies,
mike

creeksideangler

Post by creeksideangler »

No worries, thought I had missed something. A great effort from everyone to salvage a bad situation. Lot's of information.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

The Zoom portion of the meeting will begin at 10:00 Saturday September 12th. We will begin with the usual welcoming remarks, announcements, the Bellinger award, etc. The question and answer sessions will follow, and continue into the afternoon. All who are registered will be getting an email from the Catskill Center tomorrow with further details, and the Zoom meeting ID # and password. Make sure you have a working copy of the Zoom app installed to be able to participate.
The program content of the gathering, which is already extensive will continue to be expanded even after the event is over. More of the Hap Mills interview is coming, and Jed Dempsey has promised us further content with Hap in the future. Chris Bogart has done an extensive demonstration of ferrule making that will also be posted shortly. There will be more coming as well.
We deeply appreciate the level of support we received in a difficult time. Those of us who organize the event also learned a lot, and I believe the idea of filming the content and making it available for further review will be an ongoing process, even when we can resume holding a live event.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

ANd congfratulations to one of our younger members on having his name drawn by Agnes for the gathering raffle, He now is the proud owner of a Kube quad, WAy to go samsomboi, too cool!!! probably the youngest attendee at the gathering and his name was drawn by the Grand Dame of the Catskill Musem Agnes Van Putt who is the oldest of the group. way to go Agnes!!!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Well, the Zoom meeting is over. It sure was interesting! I really loved being able to talk to the presenters and hear them answer questions about their videos. And wow! I never thought I’d win that quad!
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

OldPa
Sport

Post by OldPa »

Congratulations, samsonboi on winning an incredible rod! Take good care of it and enjoy!

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Here's something Kim wrote for our Catskill Gathering 2020 facebook site that I thought should be shared with everyone here. It's a thank you for everyone involved in this year's Virtual Gathering. There are many more who could be singled out for helping make it happen. I'm sure Mike Canazon would have many more people to mention because he was at the hub of everything. A couple that come to mind right away are Gordon Koppin who set up the first Zoom meeting for us and convinced us that it could work and secondly, Tom Smithwick, who was a quiet, calming voice in the background and one we always relied on. Please feel free to add to this post because this was a game-changer as far as Gatherings go and what they can accomplish and who they can reach. Willis

THANK YOU

Whether you were an Organizer, a Presenter at the 2020 Catskill Gathering, an Attendee... or even a past Gathering Attendee, You all rock. Thank Yous are in order:

A HUGE thanks to Michael Canazon and Jason Gallup . They believed it could be done, and they were willing to try what seemed impossible...then they outdid themselves with an amazing series of videos and presentations, beautifully organized and delivered, with an amazing Group Zoom meeting for all attendees...featuring Q&A and reminiscences and added content. All of which had never been done before. This was a first for the Catskill Gathering. There were more than a few doubters that this could be done. But, thanks to Mike, Jason and others...This Gathering exceeded all expectations. The Museum also stepped up to help. Peter Crosby is a rock star. He filmed and edited all the videos, and what a job he did! We cannot thank him enough. Jill Borenstein, at the Museum, also worked tirelessly to get the Gathering off the ground. Thank You! We must thank Dana Fish, who took time out of his busy life and work to create this year's unique logo for The Catskill Gathering.

A HUGE thank you to this year's speakers. The folks who agreed to present their special interests and knowledge and know-how. They deserve a big shout out. Without them, there would be no Gathering. Hours of video, tons of interesting knowledge, expertise and sharing went into this years Gathering. It takes weeks to watch and re-watch all this fascinating and important content. Your participation in this year's event is now recorded for posterity. What a great contribution to the rod making community. Also, let's not forget that someone had to find all these great speakers and ask them to contribute. A debt of gratitude are in order for Jed Dempsey and Mike Canazon...without whom we wouldn't have had the benefit of hearing from this distinctive group of individuals.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who was able to attend this year's virtual Gathering. There were some losses and some gains. We missed some traditions that The Catskill Gathering holds dear...there was no casting by the pavilion, no tailgate conversations, no breakfasts and dinners on the lawn, No Friday pot luck featuring Dave's smoked meat and delicious beans...But we gained a recorded version of each Presentation. That was a big plus. No one missed out trying to attend overlapping presentations. And the Q&A zoom allowed a relaxed atmosphere for some rod making legends to share their musings while relaxing in their own living room. A unique opportunity that wouldn't have happened at a live event. No one knew how this year would turn out...Attending a Virtual Gathering was a gamble. You stepped up to support a big 'if' and pay for this year's important event and fund raiser for the Museum. Thank you for your support. (You raised many thousands of dollars, btw)

And a thank you is also in order for those of you who donated to our Auction. Thank You!! And a thanks to those who couldn't attend...those friends and faces we missed seeing on the Zoom meeting. There were many who couldn't attend this year, for whatever reason. It's completely understandable. We missed you and wish you the best. We haven't forgotten you. Your spot is saved...Hope to see you in 2021.

Stay well, our friends. Enjoy a year of rod making, fishing, reading and enjoying life. This pandemic will all be a distant memory someday. Sooner or later, we'll be meeting up with you at the Museum ...we'll catch up. And maybe cast a few new rods.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”