Catskill Rodmakers Gathering 2021

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Catskill Rodmakers Gathering 2021

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Those of us who plan this event want to let everyone know that we are making plans to proceed with this year's gathering. We are planning to return to a live event, and barring unforeseen setbacks in the fight to end the pandemic, we expect to be able to do that.
The event is planned as usual for the weekend after Labor Day, September 10th, 11th, and 12th at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center. We will not be taking registrations, deposits, announcing programs, etc. until it is clear that the event can be held.
Since we were unable to hold the casting competition last year, and some people did build rods, we are keeping the event the same.
The rod this year is a one piece 7 foot 4 weight.
The rod shaft must be built from Tonkin Cane.
Length tolerance overall is 84" +/- 1 inch
Lines cast will be Royal Wulff triangle tapers
Casting will be done by 2 designated professional casters.
Each caster will make 3 distance casts, the longest cast will be scored in feet.
The accuracy round will consist of 5 targets spaced from 20 to 40 feet from the caster. Each caster starts with 100 points, and points are deducted for missed targets. This should result in a more or less 50/50 weighting between distance and accuracy.
As one of the "old guard" I want to express my gratitude to our younger participants and also to the people at the Catskill Center for bringing their technical expertise into play last year. Without their efforts to put on an amazing virtual program, we would have had to cancel last year's event. We all learned a lot last year, and look forward to this year's event with renewed enthusiasm.
Everyone take care, and be well, better days are coming!

Brier549
Guide

Re: Catskill Rodmakers Gathering 2021

Post by Brier549 »

That is Music to my ears ! I also want to thank you , Mike C ,and all the others who work so hard to bring this together. Not being able to attend last year showed me just how much this event means to me. The other Mike C

rlgm72

Post by rlgm72 »

Great news! I may be relocating to CNY this summer and should be in place by then. Even though I went to college in Upstate NY, that was a couple of years before I took up fly fishing and a couple of decades before I waded into antique tackle. Looking forward to being back in the area.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Sounds awesome! I really hope it comes to pass.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

FlyRodBob

Post by FlyRodBob »

Looking forward to it! I cherish being there among friends, making new friends and learning new rod making skills (I always learn something new). You all do a wonderful job of organizing and planning the event!

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Plans remain underway for a live gathering at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center as outlined in the original post above. The organizing committee has decided that a virtual gathering is not an option this year. We will, of course, have to adhere to the rules for such gatherings of the State of New York and the advice of the management of the Catskill Center.
For that reason, we will be delaying any official announcement about the exact form of the gathering, the programs and the registration procedures, etc. until early June, by which time the parameters should be much clearer.
I am requesting at this time that those who have built, or intend to build a rod for the Demarest challenge advise me either by PM here, or at tsmithwick (at) mac.com, so we can get a count and better plan the now long awaited competition.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Mike Canazon and the organizing committee are pleased to announce that we will be proceeding with a live Catskill Gathering as described above.
The organizers have put together an interesting and varied group of programs, and also allowed some open time for people to reconnect after the long separation, cast rods, tell fish stories etc.
Friday night food will be an informal cookout/potluck, Saturday’s dinner will be Dave Fitch’s well known barbecue, and other meals will be light catering, as in the past. Bottled water will be provided, if you have other preferences, BYO.
The Demarest casting competition will be held as described earlier. If you have built a rod and cannot attend for any reason, you can assign a friend to bring the rod and return it to you. The Wulff lines will be available to purchase at a very favorable price by way of the registration forms, or a reel will be available to the casters if you choose not to purchase.
We will be putting on a silent auction Saturday afternoon after the programs, which will be over before the dinner begins. We will be looking for auction items to be donated, as in the past. Obviously, the museum continues to need our support. The past year has been a challenge for all non profit organizations, particularly those relying on public attendance. The gathering is run on a break even basis, and whatever funding the auction generates is donated to the museum to compensate them for the use of the facility, and the furtherance of their mission to preserve the heritage of fly fishing, and insure its future as well. Please consider donating something to the auction, be it large or small to keep it interesting and make it successful.
The registration system will be online on or about June 15th, and will be publicized here as soon as it is available.”
The big difference this year is that there will be some lingering restrictions due to the covid 19 situation. The number of attendees will be limited to 100 on a first come first served basis. Also, all attendees will be required to provide written proof of covid vaccination, or a negative covid test no older than 3 days upon arrival to be allowed to attend the event.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

The organizing committee is pleased to announce that we are now ready to begin registering attendees for the 2021 Catskills Rodmakers Gathering. As previously announced, the event will be held at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center, and the dates will be September 10th, 11th, and 12th.
Go to cffcm.com to register. cffcm.com/https://cffcm.com/2021catskillgathering
The fee for attendance this year is $100.00 per person, which includes meal service from Friday evening to Sunday lunch. The Demarest competition will be held as earlier described. If you have built a rod for the competition and cannot attend, you can assign a friend to get the rod to us and return it to you afterwards. We will be putting on a silent auction Saturday afternoon before dinner. The auction is the main source of our financial contribution to the museum each year, and we ask for your support with donated items, and participation at the event as well. It has been a difficult year for all non profit organizations.
A varied and interesting program has been put together, with some unstructured time also included for people to reconnect after the difficult year we all endured.We look forward to this event with renewed enthusiasm.
Further details will be provided on the registration form.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Those of you that are entering the Demarest competition may have noticed that the registration form allowed you to enter, but did not address the line purchase. If you want to buy the Wulff 4 weight triangle taper line, send a check to the Catskill Fly Fishing Center for $25.00, made out to them. Note on the check that it’s for the line, and mark the envelope C/O Mike Canazon. Like many other things these days, the lines are in short supply, and your check may not be cashed immediately. We will work around this if we have to. Also, if you do not want to purchase a line, we will accommodate your entry by having a loaner reel available to the casters. The line deal is only available to those entering a rod in the competition.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Thanks for all of the info Tom.

I am all set!

I've registered and sent off the check for the fly line today.
I put the first coat of varnish on my one piece rod two days ago.

This will be my first time attending. I have to say that I'm a little excited to attend this gathering.
It'll be quite the drive from Missouri but I'm looking forward to that also.
Now I just have to wait for September!

Brian
Last edited by BGreer on 08/10/21 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

Are bamboo fishers/collectors and enthusiasts permitted at these events or only builders and vendors?
Thanks!
Mike B

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

you would be welcome to attend Mike! This is a fantastic event for anyone that likes anything related to bamboo fly rods and fishing them.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

munsey w wrote:
07/10/21 06:46
you would be welcome to attend Mike! This is a fantastic event for anyone that likes anything related to bamboo fly rods and fishing them.
Thank you! See ya there if I can swing it! Now to planning.
Mike B

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I will have more information shortly, but did want to advise those who want to attend that the last day we can order the T shirts is August 6th. So if you want your name on the shirt, you have to act quickly. Also wanted to advise those who did register that so few people ordered the mug that we could not place an order with the supplier. If you did order one, your money will be refunded when you sign it.
Also, due to the continued Covid situation, we will be asking asking for proof of vaccination or a negative test. We thought that might go away, but the delta variant has dashed that hope.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

For those who are entering rods in the Demarest competition, we are now in possession of the Wulff lines, and will be mailing them within the week to those who ordered them. expect to get them next week sometime at the latest. I will post here when they are on the way.
From Mike Canazon, information on the food and programs:
"We start off friday at noon with registration in the Wulff Gallery, followed by our friday nite cookout with music by Dave Endicott. Bring a dish if you like.
Saturday morning breakfast at 8am and our programs start at 10 am, after our welcome and announcements
lunch will be at noon, and once again we will be able to feast on Dave Fitch's fantastic smoked meats.
At 4pm we will have a wine tasting in the Wulff gallery and our silent auction will start then and go until 5pm.
We will have breakfast and lunch on Sunday and also announce the winner of the Demarest Challenge.
Our programs will be:
Tim Abbott will give a talk on improving your rod making by dispelling myths about rod construction.
Tom Mason will be tying flies for September hatches in the Catskills.
John Shaner will do a program on how new fly patterns impacted rod designs.
Peter Jones will do a program on splitting culms to rough strips.
Tom Mcdonnell and Art Leclair will do a program on the Hal Bacon beveler.
Chuck Coronato will do a program on something all rodmakers need to have, beer.
Dana Fish will do a program on making landing nets.
Dennis Bertram will join us with a program on his new mill.
And a few more.
Of course we will have lots of rods to cast, and beer"

The registration information is at the Catskills Fly Fishing Center website, and there is still space for more attendees. All of us are looking forward to getting together once again.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Just to clarify a question that has been raised. Due to continued Covid concerns, the Catskill Center property remains closed to all forms of overnight camping. This includes the bunkhouses, tent camping, and overnight parking of campers. Sorry for the inconvenience. Other places to stay include:
Roscoe Motel
Rose Cottage
Rockland House
Reynolds House
The Arnold House
Beaverkill Valley Inn
Budget Inn
There are several campgrounds in the area as well.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Some late announcements coming. The Wulff 4 weight lines for the Demarest challenge will be mailed today. The information I have show those who entered and paid for the line are:
John and Kyle Letsche, Tim Willhelm, Brian Greer, Frank Payne, Bob Nunn, and Bob Cross. If you entered a rod and paid for a line and are not on that list, let me know ASAP.
Also, it has come to our attention that some people had difficulty with the online registration, and may not have completed the process. The following is a list of all the attendees we are presently aware of. If you tried to register, and are not on this list contact Jill at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and get it straightened out as soon as you can. I was at the Summerfest event last weekend, and was pleased to see the center back on track and looking good. See you in a couple weeks.
Menser Dennis
McDonnell Thomas
Morris Michael
Morris Anne
Smithwick Thomas
Smithwick Eile
LeClair Art
Letsche John
Letsche Kyle
Cross Bob
Canazon Mike
Nunn Bob
Maselli Jim
Payne Frank
Whittle Tom
Wilhelm Tim
LeBow Theodore
Johnson Justin
Haftel Dennis
Haftel Kathleen
Chin Fung
Canonico Michael
Fish Dana
Heim William
Elliott Gary
Elliott Carol
Greer Brian
Townsend Philip
Scott Ronald
Wheby Munsey
Forrester Ron
Colson Bob
Bertram Dennis
Bertram plus 1
Andrus Chris
Mellema Kim
Reid Willis
Moffett James
Wilcox James
Abbott Tim
Coronato Charles
Coronato Charles
Hallowell Robert
Rinker David
Deccio Anthony
Bolliger David
Hisey Charles
Koppin Gordon
Roseborough Richard
McVicker Gerard
Girard Gerald
Bearden Scott
Fitch David
Jones Peter
Jones Pippa
Benham Matt
Green Dick
Cy Amundson
Marci John
Dempsey Jed
Ishimura Misako
Bogart Chris
Sheider Bill
Sheider Dell
Skillin Jason
Zbigniew
John, Depending on Canada border situation

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Thanks Tom,

My fly line was delivered on Friday afternoon.
Just under two weeks to go!

Brian

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by JimmyB11 »

I just wanted to shoot off a quick note to all our friends at the Catskill Gathering in Roscoe, NY that James and Jorge from Toronto are not able to attend the Gathering due to the border being closed. We were hoping for a last minute chance to attend but the US border remains closed to non essential land crossings. In August, the Canadian government decided to allow US travellers to enter Canada but Canadians are not allowed to cross into the US. Hopefully this will change soon but as much as we would like to attend it is not possible to enter the US at this time.

We have been attending the Gathering since the 1990's and it is an annual outing for us and we are really disappointed. Best of luck to all the attendees and a shout to all who work so hard to make the event so great year after year! For anyone who is considering attending, it is a fantastic event and try to get there if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Stay safe and see you soon.

James and Jorge.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Just an FYI, planning on bringing a few items for sale including project rods, vintage tubes, travel tubes, rod building supplies, fly tying items, tools, tool boxes, and interesting bric brac under the pavillion, maybe even a nice rod or reel for the Saturday auction, so excellent that despite all the challenges we have endured over the past 20 months that this event is actually happening, kudos to Tom and Mike, if you are looking for something in particular please feel free to reach out, cheers, Todd

Update, working my way through book bundles purchased at auction earlier this summer, and now realized I have many first editions from Dave Brandt's library.....

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”