Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021 SEP 10-12

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Bugchucker
Sport

Re: Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021 SEP 10-12

Post by Bugchucker »

I'll be arriving Friday morning and will make up a bunch of my "beanless chili" and franks for dinner. I should have plenty of extras if anyone is interested in joining. I'll have extra refreshments also.
The itinerary is pretty loose so ...
Friday afternoon....Dave Dozer talk on rodbuilding
Sat morning .... Mary Ann Dozer a talk and demo on casting slow action rods. I've been told she is very helpful.
Sat afternoon... Dave Dozer talk on rod wrapping.
It'd be nice if any of you have any talks on the history of any of the builders of rods and or reels you wanted to share.
Good fellowship all weekend....
Fishing.....
If anyone has a rod they want to sell....they are welcome to.
I'm more than happy to give a small talk on some of the trials and triumphs of beginning bamboo rodbuilding if people are interested...might need to premed with a little scotch though : ).
Each evening we can meet at one of the campsites...I might have an extra one we can leave a bunch of chairs at and cast if enough room.
If any of you have any 'special' flies you're proud of and willing to exchange...that'd be cool.
We can also set up a little casting area if possible to test out the rods and maybe even a do a little competition if our egos can take it.
Are fires okay?
Looking forward to meeting all of you and getting a chance to wet a fly on the Metolius.
Mark

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

Sure sounds like fun. A friend of mine was at the Metolius a few days ago and the air quality was great - AQI of 9! I added on another day to my reservations and thought I might stay the entire week in pursuit of the Metolius Bull trout. This morning another friend emailed me to tell me that all of the Bend area had air advisory warnings. Camp Sherman, this morning, had an AQI of 119 via this site: https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/camp- ... ex/2187640.

Not sure what I will do. Head up anyway and hope for the best, chase steelhead on the Rogue, or cancel and make my usual trip in October, when the fires have usually subsided and the only blazes are the colorful aspens.How possible would it be to have this gathering in October if the smoke is too bad next week? We would have to endure some cold nights and mornings then, but camp fires are more likely to be allowed. No fires are allowed at Smiling camp currently, only gas cook stoves.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I will be coming down no matter the smoke (almost). The more I learn about the Metolius, the more I want to fish it. Tying up some green drakes.
Thanks for the smoke updates though. They are helpful.
Other than any smoke, the weather forecast seemed perfect.
Mark

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

The AQI literally changes by the hour. When I last looked it and worsened to 167 at CS. However, conditions are predicted to improve, so we might luck out.

As for the fishing, it is a gorgeous river, and last fishing report I checked stated that the Bull trout are now throughout the system. Bring some big flies and strong rods!

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Dickerson 8015 guide 7wt. Bunch of 4 inch streamers.
Bringing a couple 4wts and a couple 5wts (assuming I get a repair done on a ferrule in time.)

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

So do we have any kind of head count of the participants ? I am very likely going to be there with a bunch of rods cane & a few glass rods and a big box of reels f/s or trade and hope there are more rods to trade…always happy to value your classic & vintage tackle.. safe travels to all best Paul Narlesky in Rogue River.

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

Made it here last night. I’m in #29. Smoke is not too bad, but the trip up from the Bay Area was hellacious. Started encountering smoke near Sacramento and by Williams it was like a grey, misty, winter day. At Klamath Falls that turned into a foggy winter day and just North of there the lake was mostly invisible. I had to wear a mask (N95) as I was getting a headache. It was not until I reached Sisters that it had subsided to just poor conditions. Now that I’m here all is fine, would probably not have done the trip if I’d known what was in store. I’d planned to camp and fish the Williamson on my way up but the smoke was terrible and my favorite spot has burned and is off limits. What will come of the West?

oquassa

Post by oquassa »

I will come over Saturday from south of Bend. Too old for camping but I'd like to meet some of the others. I will bring an early Jenkins looking for help on when it was made. Also an unusual 3 tip Payne with questions on what it is. Both not for sale.

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update...as a few have already commented, the smoke conditions in Sisters and Camp Sherman have been reasonably good....much better than to the east in Bend and Sunriver. Of course, things can change if the winds change. It seems like we've been getting winds from the north and northwest, which have been helping our immediate area around the Metolius River. Let's hope that trend continues.

A little word about the Smiling River Campground where a lot of us will be. I'm not sure if there are any "day parking" spots in the campground for those of you thinking about coming for the day. You might need to park at Allingham Bridge...it's a short walk along the river over to Smiling River Campground.

I just got off the lower Deschutes River this afternoon after 6 days of floating and fishing. I'm not sure what bamboo rods I'll be bringing but I'm sure I'll throw 6 or 8 in my truck. Looking forward to seeing what others bring.

One more note....our little gathering is going to be very informal, and thanks to Mark for pulling this together. This will not be like the old Camp Sherman Bamboo Rod Fair that used to be held several years ago. There will be no booths or tables with vendors selling. We don't have permits for that kind of event. So, if you're wanting to sell something, it's best to keep things very low key. Let's keep this gathering as a fun get-together with some folks dedicated to the history and wonderful actions of fiberglass and bamboo fly rods.

And finally, I feel it's necessary to bring up the questions of masks. We all have our own opinions about mask policies in the state of Oregon. That said, the current Oregon policy is:

On Aug. 24, Governor Kate Brown announced a new rule that will require people in Oregon to mask in most public outdoor settings — regardless of vaccination status — where physical distancing is not possible. The rule will go into effect Friday, Aug. 27.

Let's all please respect the feelings and opinions of those who will be attending and make this a totally safe gathering for everyone.

Dave Dozer

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I will probably get too late a start to be there tomorrow but plan on showing up early Saturday. I will bring a handful of rods and reels.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I will be arriving late morning today...campsite #8. Thanks Dave for reiterating some of the important points of this gathering...mainly have an enjoyable and safe time with fellow fly fishing men and women. The Camp Sherman area sounds fantastic and it would be nice to have something even more organized next year.
Safe travels everyone.
Mark

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Sad to say, I can't come due to a reason I'd rather not go into now, but nothing legal or medical, thank goodness.

I have space 35 reserved near the entrance for Saturday night only, though I think it's open tonight. Feel free to use it, just let me know so I can email the reservation details. Also, I think it has room to park three cars, but the second or third car might have to pay the parking fee.

I'm really looking forward to 2022.

Also, you'all will miss my GHH presentation, so don't bother to buy any tomatoes. Would someone tell Roger hello for me? Please.

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

I'm in #28. Hey Joe, I saw your name on a site and was looking forward to connecting. Next time.

Chris McDowell

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Well.....our Metolius River 'Grass and Glass' gathering, at least for myself and I believe the majority of the participants was a success. It was fairly intimate with around a dozen builders and collectors of both bamboo and fiberglass. Friday's pounding rain and the threat of smoke may have kept a few away, but by Friday afternoon...the rest of the weekend was beautiful and sunny without really any smoke at all.
I want to thank everyone that attended as I learned a lot simply listening to various conversations. I learned even more over our campfire conversations. Fiberglass has me curious enough now to do at least one rod build, probably a six weight.
I want to especially thank Dave and Mary Ann Dozer for their boundless energy and very informative talks and demos on casting and different aspects of bamboo rod building. I am truly inspired. Mary Ann...I will work on my arm*- motion...promise! There were an amazing number of gorgeous modern and vintage rods present.
Have a safe autumn....it's the best time for fishing!
Mark

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

Well, it was a small gathering, as it needed to be, and very enjoyable. The setting was beautiful, as the Metolius always is, and the smoke was minimal. Thank you Mark for proposing the event, getting the space, and being a gracious host. Thank you to Dave and Mary Ann Dozer, and Terry, for the casting and bamboo rod sessions, we really appreciate your willingness to jump in and organize. I enjoyed meeting Mike and Lance and seeing Paul; I don't know everyone's moniker and didn't catch everyone's name. There were some amazing bamboo and glass rods to see and cast. It's been a long while since I've been able to chat, in person, with people who are as enthused as I am about bamboo and glass. I'm looking forward to a future with more opportunity for these gatherings and shows.

Chris McDowell

piscator54

Post by piscator54 »

Thanks to Mark for pulling this together. It was a fun event and happy to share wrapping and finishing techniques with those that hung around. Appreciate the invite from Dave to participate.

See you all next year!

Terry

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Enjoyed the notes! Sounds just right. Looking forward to 2022 ! Joe here

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I really enjoyed meeting some fellow board members (as well as the Dozers). There was a nice selection of classic rods and reels to ogle and fondle. Thanks Mark and other organizers. And after a year and a half of mostly staying around home, it was great to see some of my new state's gorgeous scenery.
Last edited by teter on 09/23/21 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hello, A big Thank You to all who participated in the show. It was great deal of fun though I was only able to spend a few hours there. Happy to meet & spend time with both cane and fiberglass enthusiasts. Some great rods to cast both cane and glass both new and vintage. We were blessed with great weather and a beautiful river for the show. Hats off to the organizers of the show. Best. Paul

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

Made it back home Saturday night. This was my first such gathering and I really enjoyed meeting fellow enthusiasts and fly rods I'd only heard of but never cast. So many rods at the gathering and so little time! I felt a need to bend some grass and glass with more than the fly line so headed to where the trout are more willing recipients - first to the Crooked River, and then to the Williamson. Small trout and small flies on the Crooked; I wish I had brought something lighter than a 5 wt. However, I was rubbing my eyes when I saw a steelhead-size rainbow in a pool and then a half hour later met a woman who had caught such a fish on a 3wt with 5x tippet. Turns out it it was a steelhead, trucked in from the Deschutes hatchery, a wild fish would have made short work of her light gear. Another was caught that same day by a gear fisherman.

On to the Williamson, after brief stops in Bend and Sunriver for fresh hop IPA. Caught some nice brownies on the Williamson, swinging a caddis emerger at dusk, culminating in an 18"-20" fish that did several runs a leaps before coming to the net. It is a shame that the ODFW has targeted this fish for removal. The campaign started two years ago, so far the only effect I have seen is the size of the fish has been reduced but not the numbers. When the restrictions were first lifted, I witnessed a spin fisherman using a bobber and fly and catching and clubbing one 20"+ fish after another. The trout of Walton, Skues and Halford being treated like mackeral caught from a pier. I may write a protest letter to the ODFW.

Don't want to end this on a sorrowful note. The gathering was great, I fondly remember the chili Mark made and the Abelour (excuse my gluttony) that Dave brought! Thanks also to Chris, your book made for some enjoyable reading at the camp.

Now it's back to stalking carp with 7 weight glass!

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”