Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021 SEP 10-12

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

bruce howell
Sport

Re: Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021

Post by bruce howell »

Looking forward to updates. I will plan to attend. Thanks for your efforts in setting it up

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

Would love to participate if it comes together. Thanks.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

tyghguy wrote:
03/18/21 14:57
I would like to attend. I am also going to suggest you try and reserve The Oasis campground in Maupin I do not know anything about how they rent it out as far as groups go but Maupin Days has been held there a few times and it is a really nice spot. Lots of room to cast rods and of course you can head to the river and fish. I am only suggesting this as an alternative if you have a hard time finding a suitable spot in Bend.
Thanks for info...I'll check it out as an option. Love the Maupin area. Is it the Riverside (name?) restaurant....unbelievably good food for a small town.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Cow Meadows campground seems pretty ideal. It's on the edge of Crane Prairie and has both stream and lake access. I'm going to check if there are any 'group' camping issues. In the meantime...if we have anyone interested in doing a presentation please contact me. Timing will now be the issue. Please keep coming with any suggestions for locations.
Mark

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Count me in. This sounds like a great event. I've been designing and building bamboo rods for 16 years and have my shop here in Sisters. I have a few bamboo presentations, and would be happy to present something if your event has opportunities for that. In addition to being a local fly fishing guide, my wife, Mary Ann Dozer, is a master certified casting instructor and a member of the FFI Casting Board of Governors. She has done a "Casting Slower Action Fly Rods" presentation at other bamboo events and I know she would be happy to do it. Don't hesitate to check back with me if I can offer up any help/suggestions from the "bamboo side of things".

Dave Dozer
www.bamboopursuits.com
541-207-8374

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Dave Dozer wrote:
03/20/21 12:40
Count me in. This sounds like a great event. I've been designing and building bamboo rods for 16 years and have my shop here in Sisters. I have a few bamboo presentations, and would be happy to present something if your event has opportunities for that. In addition to being a local fly fishing guide, my wife, Mary Ann Dozer, is a master certified casting instructor and a member of the FFI Casting Board of Governors. She has done a "Casting Slower Action Fly Rods" presentation at other bamboo events and I know she would be happy to do it. Don't hesitate to check back with me if I can offer up any help/suggestions from the "bamboo side of things".

Dave Dozer
www.bamboopursuits.com
541-207-8374
Thanks so much Dave. I know both you and Mary Ann are very well respected in the 'boo' community and I have had the pleasure of seeing some of the Virtual seminars.
Do you have any time frames that work best for you? I know the other forum members would be very appreciative of any talks and/or clinics you and Mary Ann could give.
Mark

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Hi Mark,

Mary Ann and I are very busy in May/June and Mid September through October. But, our calendars are pretty open from July 9 through September 12 so I'm pretty sure we could make those dates work for us. A few dates in Sisters that could impact things...Sisters Quilt Show is July 10, Sisters Art Show is September 10/11, and Sisters Folk Festival is October 1 - 3. I'm not sure if your event would benefit from scheduling during these dates or if you should stay away from the. But, just something to keep in mind with your planning.

Dave

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

Hello,
Please count me in and let me know any updates
Happy to help in any way possible - coming from Tigard, OR
Lean on the Rodbuilders from Oregon, they are an amazing group of people, and planning an event like this can get a little out of hand
Look forward to this
Thanks
Kevin Callaway
Callawayrods@comcast.net

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I'm not sure how many participants as those 'interested' vs actual 'attendees' is always hard to get a figure on without a formal registration. At this point I'm thinking of keeping it very informal....and then just flowing with any possible chaos and trust everyone will be willing to just have a good time. If really successful, we can learn from this year, and then be better organized for an incredible 2022 event! : )
Anyone interested in helping plan is very welcome to contact me...this is not a 'protected turf' kind of venture.
All the best to everyone.
BTW....I'm up in Tacoma, WA...visit the Bend area once a year...love the area, but don't really know the waters well and especially not the campgrounds.
All the best to everyone,
Mark

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Maupin is a long ways from Bend
I’d come if it’s the right time
I could try to get Steve Blake to attend as well
Dave

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

I'd attend. I've always enjoyed going to the Metolius gathering back in the day.

Bruce

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Definitely would be interested as well. Miss the Metolius Bamboo Rod Fair....maybe you could get something similar going again! Please keep me posted?
Thanks....

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I've got an inquiry to the Oregon State Parks. We need a place that we can at least have an opportunity for some of us to car camp and/or park an rv. I'm thinking we should also have parking available so people staying offsite can join in the fun. In checking out the parks, seems like no group sites are available (too late to reserve and Covid restrictions still rears it's ugly head). Some of the parks have availability to individual site reservations, but seems like we'd need to wait until after Labor Day...which is okay, but we'd still have to start reserving quickly.
Maybe LaPine?

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

Hello Mark,
Have you looked into a facility like Summer Lake
It has cabins, RV and tent camping
Bit of a trek from Portland, but not too bad from Bend
Just a thought
Not sure if I want to see any of this group in the hot springs though
Kevin

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Well...I've got email inquiries to multiple private campgrounds about hosting a group of us and whether they would allow nonrenters access to our campsites to join in the fun. Haven't heard from any of them. I haven't RV'd or camped much in years. Anyone have a hint as to how to ask these guys? Maybe just all show up?

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

I'd be thrilled to attend an event like that. With the C19 restrictions is seems like the later in the summer the better. One way or the other I'd make every effort to attend.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

OKAY>>>>>>>>>
September 10-12 at Smiling River Campground on the Metolius river. I've already reserved a couple campsites. I'll be arriving sometime Sept 9. Hopefully those interested will be able to join in the fun. Should be a blast. I'm planning on bringing plenty of beer and a lot of food! I'm hoping the rest of you can bring some knowledge! I've got the enthusiasm!
Best to all,
Mark

Dave Dozer
Guide

Post by Dave Dozer »

Fantastic news that Mark is moving forward with this, and Mary and I will both be there. There are a number of campsites available to reserve in Smiling River Campground on the Metolius River, but I'm sure they'll get booked fast. To those of you who are interested, even though this event is several months away, I would get your campsite reservation in place very soon. You can make a reservation at: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/camp ... =campsites

Dave Dozer
Sisters, Oregon

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Just a thought or two. First I would like to be kept in the loop on this, as I really enjoyed the summer that I spent in Sisters several years ago and would drive half way across the country to see old friends, and make new ones. It's a long way from Cotter! Second I worked for Celica Hung at Bend/Sisters Garden Resort. She was always interested in supporting gathering like this, she seemed to have an "in" with the city father's and could get the Rodeo grounds next door for some things. When you talk about shuttling to the Rivers which are you talking about? There are so many!!!

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

I would be interested and can pass the word to a few more interested cane enthusiasts. Thank you for getting this underway. I have been active in restoration and collecting cane rods for quite awhile and would enjoy seeing everyone again. Some of us go back a lot of years to the Camp Sherman shows at the community center. Keep us posted and again many thanks, Paul

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”