Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021 SEP 10-12

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Bugchucker
Sport

Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021 SEP 10-12

Post by Bugchucker »

A group of us are in the initial planning phases of a summer or fall 'Grass and Glass' multi day gathering in the Bend, OR area. Maybe three informal days where bamboo and fiberglass junkies can eat, drink, share lies and try out different rods. If some of the more accomplished rod makers would like to share their experience, that would be perfect, although not necessary.
Just trying to get an idea as to interest and ideas as to where and when. This would be open to anyone interested in Bamboo and Glass....they don't have to be builders.
Thanks,
Mark

jmcj1984
Guide

Re: Bend, OR...grass and glass gathering 2021

Post by jmcj1984 »

Yes please anything would great

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Bug - I'm very interested in either/both substrates. I have a friend who moved to Bend (non-fishing) and this would give a two-per. Actually a three-per since it's been awhile since I've ffished the area.

tl
les

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

I would be interested in receiving updates on this event. Thanks

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Alexis and I would be interested in attending depending on the date. We could bring our lines for sale and to demo.

Tom
406 Fly Lines
Last edited by tabrods406 on 03/13/21 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jhastings73
Guide

Post by Jhastings73 »

yep - i'd be interested too

2wtt
Sport

Post by 2wtt »

If the stars align I would like to be involved, I have never in the flesh seen, held or cast the good stuff :)

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

'like'

bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Looks like there is some good interest in this. I have old and new bamboo and glass rods. I enjoy working on rods and would bring some of my stuff (tools) and wrap a guide or two. Hope I have no date conflicts. 5 or 6 years ago I did a campout at the Tumalo State Park Campground north of Bend 4 or 5 miles. The campground is right on the Deschutes River.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I'm about one year into my bamboo rod building hobby and twelve rods in. I'll be bringing several of my rods...both good and the not that great. I can give those possibly interested a little idea as to some of the things I felt really helped me (bandages) and what I didn't find necessary to get started. I'll also have plenty of beer. LOTS of beer. : )
Central OR has some of the best rod builders on this forum. If they wanted to join us, that'd be great, even if just to share a drink of scotch. This is our first of hopefully an annual get together and the idea is to simply have a gathering of good people interested in fiberglass and bamboo. There might be some really nice vintage rods with a rich history...and there might be some radical new ideas that push the envelope...but still catch fish.
Anyone familiar with the Bend area is welcome to chime in as to locations and the best time of year. I'm thinking a campground on a lake (that way we don't dominate a stream (unless the forum thinks there is nothing wrong with that) with a large cleared area to try out rods. We could shuttle to any of the nearby rivers or streams.
Mandatory with me will be lots of good food and drink!
NO POLITICS AT THIS GATHERING! Politics are important, but not at this group of friends.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

I'd be very interested in attending. Back in the olden days we had a pretty good bamboo gathering at Camp Sherman. It's too bad that fizzled out. I met a lot of wonderful and talented people there.

The gathering down in Brownsville was wonderful as well. I hope COVID has only put a short-term damper on that one.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Count me in, if Sharon and I can make it. If not, I will happily pay entrance. Keep a mid-Oregon meet going!
We were in the Metolius Gathering from year 1 to 10. The attendance grew, and was quite surprising. Joe here
Please also contact me via email: joebeelart@comcast.net
Ps: Dear MonteMan: Your presentations at Brownsville were great, and tremendously surprising! I look forward to hearing you again. We very much appreciated the great group at the Brownsville gathering. Unfortunately they increased the daily price to $600, and then; there was covid.
PsPs: I bought a big new loud speaker, Bluetooth, better microphones, etc. for the 2020 meet that never happened; and a lot of other stuff. Let me know of it can be of use. What I can do with a loud speaker at age 72 is a little beyond me. Hope springs eternal.

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

I've visited the area quite a few times but never camped. I'm hearing that after Labor Day might be best due to the crowds. I've got a thread on the WFF also going and have heard about Cow Meadows campground as possibly being a good spot.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

From the edge of OR, I'm in with a few calendar exceptions.

Just a loose cast and conversation can easily happen at one of the camp grounds like Cow Meadows in off season.

If you want to do a more formal event with presentations, you'll need something that is less remote. Sunriver has a lot of options for setting up tables, and John O is a bamboo guy and owns one of the fly shops in Sunriver. There are casting areas, rentals, amenities and camping close. If you want to attract the makers and shakers in bamboo you'll want to choose something other than Cow Meadows.

my 2 copper pieces.

G Zinkus

Post by G Zinkus »

I'll be interested in taking part. I spend about half time in nearby Sisters.
Tight lines
Glenn

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

We purchased a small condo in Sunriver this year so I’ll probably stay there overnight but would absolutely enjoy hanging out and enjoying all things bamboo rods. I’ll certainly bring a few of my own and will be happy to let others try them. Ron

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

My interest in starting to get this organized is very selfish. I really enjoy hanging out with other people that are enthusiastic about the same things I am....fly fishing, rod building, eating, and drinking. : )
My original intent is to just get together a bunch of like-minded people and have a long weekend of informal fun. We can share ideas, sources for parts and tools, discuss and debate about the best past and present rod builders, advantages of glass, bamboo, and maybe even...graphite....etc. We would also get a great opportunity to try and drool over different rods. Since this is a first gathering, it would probably be unfair to any presenters or vendors to 'promise' a certain number of participants. What we could promise...is that no matter how many attend, they will all be passionate about fly fishing and want to learn more about glass and/or bamboo...the fishing, collecting, and building of them.
I feel any vendors or especially anyone willing to take the time to do a presentation would be very appreciated and if we're lucky enough to get a few, we would be careful to organize them so that as many people as possible could partake.
We could even have a small fly tying competition for a bottle of bourbon I could donate to the cause....
Anyway...I'd like to find a venue with very little cost as possible...at least for this first gathering. I'm open for debate though.
Gotta admit...I'm pretty happy to see the response so far. Might need some help if gets bigger.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

I'd like to receive updates on this as well, especially since my oldest daughter now lives in Bend.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Count me in, too. I am three or four hours away.

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

I would like to attend. I am also going to suggest you try and reserve The Oasis campground in Maupin I do not know anything about how they rent it out as far as groups go but Maupin Days has been held there a few times and it is a really nice spot. Lots of room to cast rods and of course you can head to the river and fish. I am only suggesting this as an alternative if you have a hard time finding a suitable spot in Bend.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”