Montague Restoration

History of the Montague Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Montague Rods here.

Moderators: MontyMan, Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Sando

Montague Restoration

Post by Sando »

I am restoring my granddad‘s Montague fly rod. It was given to me about 20 years ago in pretty rough shape. The entire ride from tiptop to reel seat was covered varnish. I managed to get it removed everywhere but lost the sticker in the process. But it was mostly gone anyways.

There are several signature wraps above the winding check - is that typical for these rods?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Montague Restoration

Post by jeffkn1 »

Sando wrote:
11/26/20 14:24
There are several signature wraps above the winding check - is that typical for these rods?
Yes.
Yours seems to have brown and yellow, a combination used on the Montague Rapidan for a while. I don't know whether they used that mix on other models. Higher priced models, as a rule, had fancier thread work and more snake guides. If your rod is a Rapidan it ranks in the middle of Montague's extensive lineup.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

If you intend to fish this rod, and there is no reason why you shouldn't, you would see a pretty big improvement by adding snake guides. I added a guide between every guide on a 7 1/2' Rapidian that I refinished.

Cheers,
Joe

Sando

Post by Sando »

jeffkn1 wrote:
11/28/20 09:47
Sando wrote:
Yes.
Yours seems to have brown and yellow, a combination used on the Montague Rapidan for a while. I don't know whether they used that mix on other models. Higher priced models, as a rule, had fancier thread work and more snake guides. If your rod is a Rapidan it ranks in the middle of Montague's extensive lineup.
Thanks.
In person and after the varnish was stripped the wraps look to be tan and purple. It’s hard to see in the picture but there was another 10 wraps in addition to the 9 that are still in place. Quite the signature...
Last edited by Sando on 11/28/20 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sando

Post by Sando »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
11/28/20 10:30
If you intend to fish this rod, and there is no reason why you shouldn't, you would see a pretty big improvement by adding snake guides. I added a guide between every guide on a 7 1/2' Rapidian that I refinished.

Cheers,
Joe
Yes definitely plan to fish this rod. She’s 9 1/2’. The stripping guide, both tip tops, and all the ferrules are all in perfect condition. I’m learning to wrap so I can add new snake guides. Looking forward to taking her out on the water.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Sando, I believe the signature wraps are grouped as 7 wraps - 5 wraps - 3 wraps, alternating the colors purple and pongee. This signature wrap pattern would suggest that your rod is a Manitou model - top of the line in its day. The dark cane indicates that it was probably built in the late 20's or early 30's.

If the ferrules are original, they should be nickel silver and will probably be Landman styled, having a rounded, half-moon hand welt on the female ferrule and an extra incision near the drop-down on the male ferrule. It should have at least 5 snake guides on each tip section. The guides will probably be wrapped with pongee silk with purple tipping.

If the reel seat is original, it will probably incorporate black in the reel seat slide. There were at least 4 different reel seat styles used on the Manitou over its 25+ year production, all of which used black for the reel seat slide.

The cork grip will probably be a full wells style.

Does this describe your rod????

Please post pictures of the reel seat and the ferrules - both male and female, so I can help you confirm the model and age.

. . . Rex
The Monty Ma
n

Sando

Post by Sando »

jeffkn1 wrote:
11/28/20 09:47
Sando wrote:
Yes.
And thanks for the Rapidan ID. This thread viewtopic.php?t=82631 has a lot of good info. I love the advertising motto "The 'Rapidan' is considered tops in the low-priced field for fly rod performance."

Sando

Post by Sando »

TheMontyMan wrote:
11/28/20 23:22
Sando, I believe the signature wraps are grouped as 7 wraps - 5 wraps - 3 wraps, alternating the colors purple and pongee. This signature wrap pattern would suggest that your rod is a Manitou model - top of the line in its day. The dark cane indicates that it was probably built in the late 20's or early 30's.

If the ferrules are original, they should be nickel silver and will probably be Landman styled, having a rounded, half-moon hand welt on the female ferrule and an extra incision near the drop-down on the male ferrule. It should have at least 5 snake guides on each tip section. The guides will probably be wrapped with pongee silk with purple tipping.

If the reel seat is original, it will probably incorporate black in the reel seat slide. There were at least 4 different reel seat styles used on the Manitou over its 25+ year production, all of which used black for the reel seat slide.

The cork grip will probably be a full wells style.

Does this describe your rod????

Please post pictures of the reel seat and the ferrules - both male and female, so I can help you confirm the model and age.

. . . Rex
The Monty Ma
n
Very interesting Rex. That does describe this rod.
Looking closer it’s definitely a 7 5 3 pattern on the wraps. The purple is still there. Pongee is khaki or tan?

Here’s the grip, full wells I believe.

A better shot of the reel seat
It seemed to be missing a piece.

Not sure if these are Landman style ferrules but they are nickel silver.

And yes 5 guides per tip section. Nearly all of them were in bad shape - broken, rusty or wraps coming off. One of them appeared to be replaced in the field. Maybe broke off on a big fish?

She’s cleaning up nice. Thanks for weighing in.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Yours seems to have brown and yellow, a combination used on the Montague Rapidan for a while.
Or not!
Sheesh, Jeff. ;)

Sando

Post by Sando »

jeffkn1 wrote:
11/30/20 20:11
Or not!
Sheesh, Jeff. ;)
No worries. Montague offered so many models it’s hard to keep track. Pictures of the complete rod are hard to take.

Return to “Montague Rod & Reel Co.”