Montague Gaspe

History of the Montague Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Montague Rods here.

Moderators: MontyMan, Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Yakfisher
Sport

Montague Gaspe

Post by Yakfisher »

Hi , I just picked one of these up and was wondering if anyone on here had any information on them?
Looking for silk line size? With a name like "Gaspe" was it a salmon rod? prox. value etc.. I'm going to fish with it once its restored.
Any information would be well received !
Blessings,

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: Montague Gaspe

Post by TheMontyMan »

Yakfisher,

Yes, the Montague Gaspe model was designed as a salmon rod, and was marketed on both the east and west coasts as a good salmon or steelhead rod. The rod style of the Gaspe (built with the removable fighting butt section) was called a Dry Fly Salmon style by Montague.

The Gaspe model was named after the Gaspe Peninsula area of southeastern Canada, which is famous for its great runs of Atlantic Salmon.

These rods are typically in the range of 9 to 11 weight rods, by modern standards, so that should give you an approximate line size range.

These rods are fairly common and not many people fish them because of their weight compared to modern rods. Once you get into 9+ weight bamboo rods, they're getting quite hefty. Due to these 2 factors, their value (or price) remains relatively low compared to the workmanship and components that went into making them. In decent, fishable shape they typically sell for around $100 on the big online auction site. I've seen them go for over $200 in pristine condition, and for around $50 in rough shape.

Once restored, it should throw a line out nicely.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Montague Rod & Reel Co.”