Orvis Bamboo data base

History of the Orvis Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Orvis Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

JeraldMiller

Orvis Bamboo data base

Post by JeraldMiller »

Brand new member here. Having trouble trying to bring up Orvis bamboo fly rod data base on this site. tryinng to find manufacture date of number 59483.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Bamboo data base

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

1970. If you'd like the month as well, contact Orvis and they'll tell you who made it and what month. There is a wealth of information here about Orvis rods and the 16/10 ferruled rod that you just purchased is a favorite of many.

Cheers,
Joe

JeraldMiller

Post by JeraldMiller »

Thanks Joe, and thanks for the rod !
~Jerald

Dmasnato

Post by Dmasnato »

Looking for information about a orvis 6.6 2 tip flyrod serial number is 44734 thanks David.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Dmasnato wrote:
09/19/23 11:22
Looking for information about a orvis 6.6 2 tip flyrod serial number is 44734 thanks David.
Hi Dave,
Serial number 44734 was made in September or October of 1966. Orvis made three 6 1/2-foot fly rod models that year; the "Deluxe", "Rocky Mountain" and "Flea". I don't have access to the Orvis records, so I need to know which one you have to proceed.

Post the model and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Best regards,
Greg

Dmasnato

Post by Dmasnato »

Good morning so the odd part is nothing is inscribed on the rod other then the serial number on all 3 pieces. Tube label is in poor shape I can make out the serial number and the word deluxe. Also looks like 2-7/8 oz. On the Label line weight something with a .6? Frist bamboo fly rod a dream to cast I am hooked. Thanks David

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Hi David,
It's one the last 6 1/2-foot Deluxe models produced. The inscription on the butt section was lost--maybe dissolved by DEET insect repellant on the users hands.

They're one of my favorite Orvis tapers and I fish mine with a DT5F line.

A copy and paste from my notes:
"The 6 1/2-foot, 2 1/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule “Deluxe” & “Superfine” are medium action rods with the factory-recommended 6-weight synthetic line. The taper was first used in 1963 (or possibly 1964) for the “Deluxe” lightweight fly rod and finished with blued tungsten steel guides.

The taper appears as the “Superfine” In the 1967 catalog, refitted with chrome plated stainless steel guides. It was produced through 1974.

The same taper was used for the “The Fly and Spin” (also known as the “Superfine Fly and Spin”) from 1967 through 1975. It was made in Battenkill configuration in 1968 and 1969 with a walnut reel seat."

Scans from the 1966 catalog:

I'll add #44734 to my database.

Welcome to the forum...

Best regards,
Greg

bigfastfish

Re: Orvis Bamboo Database

Post by bigfastfish »

General Question … Did Orvis make a 3-2 impregnated? Especially in the 7’- 8 ‘ lengths (no rotator cuff).
I enjoy fishing with my 3 Impregnated rods -Special/Battenkill/Midge …. But living in South Texas means that a quick trout trip with a brace of rods is a huge hassle at any airport.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Bamboo Database

Post by Greg Reynolds »

bigfastfish wrote:
09/24/23 07:46
General Question … Did Orvis make a 3-2 impregnated? Especially in the 7’- 8 ‘ lengths (no rotator cuff).
I enjoy fishing with my 3 Impregnated rods -Special/Battenkill/Midge …. But living in South Texas means that a quick trout trip with a brace of rods is a huge hassle at any airport.
Orvis offered several 3-piece trout models. These are later examples from the 1974 and 1975 catalogs:

They're obtainable, but more difficult to find and more expensive that the 2-piece equivalents--especially the Seven/four. Most will cast lighter lines than recommended by Orvis.

Return to “Orvis Co. Rods”