Model 66 Black painted South Bend

History of the South Bend Rod Co. Feel free to discuss South Bend Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

wbinn
Guide

Model 66 Black painted South Bend

Post by wbinn »

I have a 9' 3 pc South Bend fly rod that's painted black. It appears to be an original paint job as the South Bend "Quality Tackle" decal is complete and appears to be on top of the surface. The number penned in orange ink is 66-9'. It's wrapped in orange with several contrasting bands that probably were yellow or white. I'm not interested in it's value, only in it's history. Anyone know if S.B. marketed a rod like this? My first assumption was that it was their attempt to compete with Heddon's Black Beauty. It has an chrome plated sliding ring seat so I'm guessing it's age 1930's ?
Winston

django84

Re: Model 66 Black painted South Bend

Post by django84 »

Likely in imitation of, for example, the Divine 'Invisible' that is coated with dark green lacquer, rather than the Heddon Black Beauty that only has black silk.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Our reference for South Bend catalogs
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vi ... 67&t=99151

shows the 66 showing up during the Depression in the 1932 catalog at an entry level price of $5, which I think may have been their lowest priced bamboo rod ever. South Bend also marketed boxed fishing outfits and I think the 66 may have been used in one of those at one time.
Some manufacturers probably used painted finishes to hide bamboo that would not ordinarily been used because of water staining or cosmetic defects. I once refinished a green bamboo Montague and once I had it stripped I found the cane to be liberally water stained, though the rod construction was still good.

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

I own the same rod minus the model # designation.
It's wrapped in the same colors as yours. I haven't removed any yet to determine their original color. I think that there may be three different ones. Orange, yellow and white.
The only marking on the rod shaft is the first decal issued in 1926 when SB acquired Cross Rod Co.
All sections are full length for a nine foot rod.
Most of the guides are missing so there is no stripping guide but there is an agate/agatine tip-top on one of the two tips. the other is an obvious replacement. The agate one may be as well.
It's been awhile since I've looked at the rod but I know that it has a very short, 5", full Wells grip comprised of 1" or longer cross-cut cork, and an all metal sliding band reel seat. I've never seen a reel seat posted for SB or Cross like this.
I've never been able to find any reference to the model 66 or 67 being painted black. That is, unless it was referred to as "dark mahogany".
I've often wondered did Cross market a black painted rod that would have been contemporary with Divines' Raven & Invisible (late 1920's I believe).
Again, my rod has no model # but does have the SB first issued Decal.
Could it be a Cross blank acquired in the 1929 acquisition?

D
PS. There is a posted picture of a #66 under post subject; "Real South Bend's???".
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

Return to “South Bend Rod Co.”