Montage Bamboo Rod

History of the Wright and McGill Co. Feel free to discuss Wright and McGill Co. Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

lestadt13f

Montage Bamboo Rod

Post by lestadt13f »

I recently purchased a Montague bamboo rod while shopping in a thrift store. I have searched this forum over and over again in order to identify it. Unfortunately even the most complete lists here do not have the length of mine. I have a two piece that is only 74 inches long. Any one know of this length? The shortest I have seen on this forum is seven foot one, mine is six one. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Montage Bamboo Rod

Post by jeffkn1 »

If there is no model name marked on it anywhere, clear photos would help in establishing what it is. Without photos, it sounds as if you purchased a bait cast rod, a saltwater rod, or a fiberglass rod. Though Montague started building rods in the mid-1880's, bamboo rods marked with the Montague name weren't sold until around 1927. Between then and the late Fifties their product line changed, expanding and contracting a couple of times. The reference list here is representative of the lineup at its peak, around 1939, but it doesn't have all the rods they made in that 30-year period and the 'value guide' also doesn't include all the various lengths. Post some photos for us.

Return to “Wright and McGill Co. Rods”