Advice needed on pre-1937 F E Thomas

History of the FE Thomas Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Thomas Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

DrakeBob
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrakeBob »

Gentlemen, I thought I would do this here in “the quiet place"...   I recently acquired a pre-1937 Thomas and I would greatly appreciate observations, opinions and any advice you might have to offer.
The rod is 8’ 3/2 and weighs 4.1 oz. according to the seller.  I haven’t weighed it myself.  Full length and straight save for a minor set to one tip, cap and ring seat.  I believe it to be all original including reverse twist guides, bayonet style tip tops and an agate stripper (with a small chip missing from a spot that shouldn’t affect the line).  The rod is sound structurally, ferrules are tight to the bamboo, 15-11, seat tightly (I can’t push them all the way and won’t try until I clean them).  The varnish has seen better days as you can tell from the pictures.  There are some bag marks and a more general crazing appears in a number of places.  Comes with what I believe are the original bag and tube, unfortunately with no tag, but I do have the string... Image

The rod was sold to me as a “Special," no other description of the model.  Upon closer examination I’m not so sure it's a "straight Special," and I’d like your opinions on this.  First of all, the blank is a very even dark color.  I’m not sure my pictures do true justice to the color.  It is so even in color that it is impossible to spot the nodes except where the varnish is compromised.  There are a couple of places where the wraps have come undone a bit.  One is in the close up picture of the guide and the other is in the signature wrap.  They reveal the blonde bamboo underneath leaving me to think that the color/stain is actually in the varnish itself.  So… might this be an earlier stained Browntone?  I don’t think it is a mahogany, it’s not quite that dark.  If I had to pick a wood to compare it to, I'd probably say cherry.  I know there has been some debate about earlier Browntones being stained or not and I'm not sure where the thinking stands on that.

I would very much like to have the rod worked on by someone who really knows what they are doing.  Beyond redoing the wraps that need it, my concern is with the varnish.  If the stain is in the varnish, how can the color be retained if the varnish is redone?  Would it be better to just try rubbing it all out and leave it as is, touch up a few small spots where it is missing entirely and then wax the rod?  I’d love to know who you might recommend as the right person (a Thomas expert?) for the job.  I've been thinking Steve Blake.  I have a Leonard that he did and his work is beyond superb.  If you’d rather PM me with that info, I’d welcome any and all advice.
Thanks for looking,
Bob
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly Drake – Bringing You The Finest In Foruming™ Since March, 2003
Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Sweet! I'm mostly sure that is a later Mahogany and pre-1935 as well, well worth having the varnish salvaged and the misshapen wrps attended to, congratulations!

DrakeBob
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrakeBob »

Thanks, banjo.  I didn't know that there were stages (?) of the Mahogany.  I'm assuming it becomes lighter in shade later on?
Formerly Drake – Bringing You The Finest In Foruming™ Since March, 2003
Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Yes, the earliest were very much Mahogany in color and gave off a significant ammonia like smell, often the bags showed signs of burns from the chemicals in the varnish reacting with the bag. FET only made the Dirigo and Special grades but the Mahogany and Browntone were part of the Special series all would have Special stamped on the butt cap. The earlier Mahogany rods had many intermediate windings which went away once the modern glues were used and would only be added by request of a customer after 1930 or so. I think someone like Fred Kretchman could do an admirable restoration on your rod, he's in Kittery Point ME now.

Broken Rod
Master Guide

Re: Advice needed on pre-1937 F E Thomas

Post by Broken Rod »

Gee wiz, Gentlemen

I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but the 3rd photo shows the true color of the bamboo at a missing signature wrap. The 4th photo shows even more of the blank's true color where a goodly part of the thread is missing at the guide-wrap. So, we are looking at light cane. The "mahogany" color is due to the darkening of the varnish. Still, it's a very very nice rod in a desirable length and weight. :D
"He started off in the wood-turning trade."
Profile on Fred Thomas, 1906

Author:
Successful Shark Fishing (1996)
Classic & Antique Fly Fishing Tackle (1997, 2002)
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

Return to “FE Thomas Rods”