A Request for Help Researching Sidney Spencer Rods

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Lewis Chessman
Sport

A Request for Help Researching Sidney Spencer Rods

Post by Lewis Chessman »

Hello, I wonder if anyone here can help me?
Following a recent thread concerning the lack of information about the author Sidney Spencer on the Salmon Fishing Forum I am attempting to research his life.
In doing so I have found reference to two Spencer designed cane rods from the mid to late 1930s:

1) The Spencer-Armus by Cogswell and Harrison of Piccadilly, London; a 12 ft, three piece rod designed for upstream worming and bait fishing. The bottom two sections are solid cane, the top section hollow, agate rings throughout. The handle is long, allowing the reel to be placed as the angler desires. 50 shillings in 1934/35. (Yorkshire Post, Sept. 8th, 1934 and May 4th, 1935, p.17)

Cogswell and Harrison also advertise 'The Spencer Flies and Specialities', a range of five wet flies at 3/ 6 per dozen, 1 shilling for three. Dry flies are 1/ 4 for three and the ''Nature'' Mayflies, ''most realistic'', at 2/ 6 per set of three, post free. (Yorkshire Post, March 9th 1935, p.8 and May 4th, 1935, p.17)

2) The Spencer Lake Rod by W. J. Cummins of Bishop Aukland, Co. Durham, probably a fly rod, ''made to the design and specification of Mr. Sidney Spencer.'' (Yorkshire Post, May 4th, 1935, p.17).

If anyone has any information about or, ideally, photographs of these rods I would be very grateful if you would post here and share your knowledge.

Also, if any member knows his place and date of birth (1902), his profession, his whereabouts between 1920 and 1960, and the date of his death (Donegal, 1976, I believe), indeed pretty much anything about him, I'd be much obliged if you could enlighten me.

The SFF thread is here: https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/foru ... uthor.html
Thanks very much,
Lewis.

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”