Early Hardy Markings

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Early Hardy Markings

Post by Lewis Chessman »

Hello. I've had a good search and can't find an answer. Perhaps a kind soul here can help?
I was looking at an old greenheart rod on line tonight. It's in a sorry state. Only the bottom two sections are there and it looks to me as if someone has whipped an eye to the brass ferrule on the second section.

Not to bore you with too much detail (unless you want more), I noticed that the brass butt cap has simply, 'HARDY'S' with 'ALNWICK' stamped below, both in capitals. The stamp is towards the butt end and runs along the length, top to bottom, rather than around the curve of the cap.

I'm curious as other early stamps I've seen have read, 'Hardy Bros., Makers, Alnwick' or 'Hardy Bros., Ltd., Makers, etc.'.
I wondered, then, if this relic was from before 1874 when John James Hardy joined his brother in the company?

The pics I've seen are poor and no serial numbers are visible. The rod is on an auction site and I'm unsure of the forum etiquette in linking to it here. To be honest, it's not something I want to buy, I'm truly just interested in whether it can be dated by the 'trade mark' alone?

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”