H-I Utica rod

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

clydestauffer

H-I Utica rod

Post by clydestauffer »

I was recently given an H-I rod by a friend. It is a 9' 2-piece Model 1308 ½ Lucky Strike. All the 2-piece rods on your list are 7' or 7 ½' long. Is this some sort of aberration, or just one you haven't run into yet.

Clyde Stauffer

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: H-I Utica rod

Post by wrong66 »

All my Horrocks-Ibbotson catalogs throughout the 1930's only lists the "Lucky Strike" model in 8-1/2, 9 and 9-1/2 ft. lengths. I assume the 7 and 7-1/2 ft. statement is an error.
Mark

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Looks to me like you two guys are talking past each other. The way I understand the question is, "Did the H-I Lucky Strike in a 9' rod, ever come in a 2-piece model? My first thought is, "Are you sure that it's bamboo and not fiberglass?". I haven't seen many bamboo rods that length that are 2 piece.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The #1308-1/2 was indeed a fiberglass rod. Thanks for waking me up, Canewrap.
Mark

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”