mystery rod, help please.

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

peterhay

mystery rod, help please.

Post by peterhay »

is there any way one can find out about what i think could be a bespoke rod. i have recently aquired a 9' cane flyrod in quite good condition, but the screw in butt plate or pad is missing. which is where there might have been maybe a serial number. all that is on it is just above the cork handle is written P ROBINSON 1965, i use this rod along with my 8' 1960 sharpes featherweight, which is what the style of writing reminded me of, but sadly sharpes could shed no light on the matter. so am at a loss really.

Mahseer
Guide

Re: mystery rod, help please.

Post by Mahseer »

This is probably a home build from a kit, with the builder's name on it. This was a popular option in the 1960s when most UK anglers lived on tight budgets - in part because there was no sales tax on kits. A few companies, including Chapman and JB Walker supplied very decent components and good instructions. Some of the greatest anglers of that era, including Richard Walker, used them.

Can't be certain, of course, but that is what the probabilities suggest. How does it cast and fish?

peterhay

Re: mystery rod, help please.

Post by peterhay »

it casts perfectly. i like mid to tip action on my river. we are busy at the moment catching a lot of sea trout, mostly at night, and the rod is handling it fine. i use more than my Sharpe's now, when a longer rod is called for. my 8' sharpe's and little hardy's rover is ideal for the small streams.

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”