Fenwick Woodstream fly rod

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Pat mccutcheon

Fenwick Woodstream fly rod

Post by Pat mccutcheon »

Hi, My name is Pat. I’m new here. Can someone please help me identify this Fenwick Woodstream 7 1/2 ft fly rod? It’s serial number is R414308. What line weight is appropriate?

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Re: Fenwick Woodstream fly rod

Post by Lewis Chessman »

Hello, Pat. Your rod may also carry a model number. If you can see it it will tell you the answer.
The two previous generations of these Fenwick HMG rods had 'GFF' ('Graphite Fenwick Fly') followed by the length (in inches or in feet) and the line rating. Some Woodstream HMG rods also a 'T' at the end to designate 'Traditional', indicating a softer action more akin (they hoped) to 'boo.
There's a thread on early Fenwick graphite here.

I would expect that your Fenwick Woodstream will have something like GFF-90-5/GFF-75-5/GFF-90-5-T if it is a #5 weight or GFF-90-6/etc. for a #6 weight.

If this info is missing then try a modern #4 WF to begin, then a #5, then a #6.
In the Fenwick 1981 rod builders' catalogue the two HMG 7 1/2 ft blanks are a #5 and a #6 weight so, given the age and soft, deeper action of these rods (in their smaller sizes) I'd start light and work up the weights until you find your best match.

The most curious thing about your rod is the serial number as I understood these were discontinued after Woodstream bought Fenwick circa 1979. Obviously not immediately as proven by yours which, I would suggest, places it early in Woodstream's ownership of the company.

Good luck finding the best line to suit you and your rod, whatever its stated rating.

Pat mccutcheon

Post by Pat mccutcheon »

Thank you very much for the information. It has no other nomenclature on it. I will do as you suggest. I would love to know what model it is. I’m going to research the ones you mentioned and see if I can’t find a match.

Thank you,

Pat

Pat mccutcheon

Post by Pat mccutcheon »

Also the model number on it is r414308.

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Post by Lewis Chessman »

According to post #8 here on the FFR forum an 'R' serial number indicates 1977/78 which firmly places the Woodstream take over as 1977/78, not c'79 as I stated. 1978 is the more likely, I think.
Thanks for showing your rod and educating me. :)

Pat mccutcheon

Post by Pat mccutcheon »

I can take a picture of the whole rod if you like. I would love to know what model it is. I’ve called Fenwick and they can’t find it. My knowledge of fly rods is basic. I have searched the internet for 2 days trying to find a match and I can’t.

Thank you very much!

Pat

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Post by Lewis Chessman »

I would certainly like to see it, Pat, however this is very much a bamboo-focused forum and graphite chat can be heavily frowned upon. May I suggest you join the North American Fly Fishing Forum and add your pics there either on your own thread or on the one linked in my first post above?

I'd very much like to see the handle, seat, ferules, tip and any decals, and there is a wealth of early graphite knowledge amongst the membership who may add more thoughts. Thanks.

Pat mccutcheon

Post by Pat mccutcheon »

Thank you. I apologize for the erroneous placement of my question. I am brand new to this and never been on a forum before. I will post it to the above forum like you suggested. I will go ahead and add the pictures for you below though before I do so. I really appreciate all your help.

Pat

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Gentlemen

Only a matter of time before a moderator locks this discussion.
There is a forum which can better address your needs. It's called FiberglassFlyrodders.com

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”