Indiana Fly Rod

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

stant

Indiana Fly Rod

Post by stant »

I have an Indiana fly rod ,about an 8'6" . It's like brand new because I fly fish very little over the years . I'm hoping to do it more now that I have more spare time ,retired.
But I was curious if anyone could give me some information about the rod,company . It seems like a really nice rod.It has a number 201- 8 1/2. and a name maybe , Don HDH ?
Thank you

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Indiana Fly Rod

Post by samsonboi »

HDH is the line size. 8 1/2 is the length.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

stant wrote:I have an Indiana fly rod ,about an 8'6" . It has a number 201- 8 1/2. and a name maybe , Don HDH ?
Indiana, as in "South Bend"? "Don HDH" is actually D or HDH, meaning a recommended line rating of D (level 6 weight) or HDH (double taper 6 Weight). The model 201 is not a familiar number to me.

South Bend was a major supplier of tackle for many decades, beginning before WW I. They offered bamboo rods up into the Fifties. They are generally thought of as 'blue collar' rods though South Bend did make some rods that are still popular today for fly fishing.

stant

Post by stant »

Jeff . Don't know about the south Bend part , .Rod has Indiana rod Co. on it along with size line . Thanks

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Photos will go a long way to addressing the question

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”