US Military fly fishing in the 1800's

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

US Military fly fishing in the 1800's

Post by roycestearns »

There's several records from the 1800's of our US Military spending their down time fishing.
There's the story of how trout killed Gen George Custer viewtopic.php?f=70&t=88391&p=666394&hil ... er#p666394

A new one popped up recently:
Philip Sheridan played an important role in the establishment and protection of Yellowstone National Park, which was officially created in 1872. Mt. Sheridan, which rises more than 10,000 feet and is located within the national park, was named for the Civil War general. Born: March 6, 1831, Albany, NY Died: August 5, 1888, Bristol County, MA Philip Henry Sheridan, a career United States Army officer and a Union general in the Civil War, Sheridan’s career was noted for his rapid rise to major general and his close association with Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant,

And an order from 1873

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”