What was your first bamboo rod?

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Horsesho

Post by Horsesho »

8' Orvis Nymph rod, I bought it around 1973 while in High School. Never liked the rod and traded it in the early 1990's.

Miskis
Sport

Re: What was your first bamboo rod?

Post by Miskis »

Orvis Pacechanger bought from Glenn West in Missoula 41 years ago at the orlginal Grizzly Hackle.

BillA
Master Guide

Post by BillA »

Mine was a 6' Hardy Palakona for 5. It was a birthday gift from my wife back in 1975. I still love it and love to fish it.

ttrotter
Global Moderator

Post by ttrotter »

Mine were in 2004 purchased from a professor at Penn State-a 2 for 1 deal. Mark Ruhe 7'9" 5wt and Chris McDowell 7 1/2' 4wt. I sold the Ruhe a couple years back to fund another rod (wish I had kept it!). The McDowell I still have and love it. These 2 led me down the primrose path and I haven't cast a plastic rod since.
Tom

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

My first rod was an 8', 3-piece HI that I only had for a little while, back in 1996. That rod was just a little too heavy and a bit clunky, but I knew bamboo had to offer better. The next rod was SB 290 and that was definitely a step in the right direction.

But, the real rod that hooked me on bamboo was a light-trout Monty Rapidan that was in lousy shape when I got it, but when it came back from being restored was a fantastic 7.5', 4wt (true 4weight). That rod was my first really good bamboo and set the bar, for me, as to what a bamboo fly rod should be.

I traded that rod some time later and wish I hadn't, as I haven't found another one since. I have some really good rods now, but almost all of them are rods I finished out from blanks.

(update: I now have a 7.5', 4wt. that is as every bit as good as the one in my tale above. Its modern made rod, based on a version of the Perfectionist taper that has a slightly swelled butt. Crisp caster that just has that indefinable feel I loved in that old Monty.)
Last edited by Canewrap on 05/30/15 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Doublehauler
Master Guide

Post by Doublehauler »

First one in about 1949, my 12th summer, a Montague Clear Lake. I'm not sure about the model name, but I am close. It was given to me by an elderly neighbor in part payment for summer work around his house and car. That part is a long story that I remember well, but I won't bore you with it. I didn't know what a fly rod was, nor did my Father, a Swedish immigrant working man. He took me fishing, sitting on the bank of the Mississippi river or a lake with cane poles, bobbers and bait. When my Dad came home from work that day I showed him my prize, it came in a very stiff green canvas case, 3 pieces with an extra tip. He didn't really know much about such a thing, but figured that Mr. Carrier, who owned the nearby hardware store would know. So we took the rod to him who told us it was, in fact, a fly rod, and sold my Dad a very simple fly reel for $1, and some super strong, heavy braided fishing line.
This was in Minnesota, Land O' Lakes, no trout streams anywhere near by. But I had half a dozen or more lakes within a short bike ride from home. So I learned how to catch sunnies and perch and small bass by myself with a bobber and worms on my "fly rod". And my Mother thought those were a wonderful help to a slim household grocery budget. Slowly, very slowly, I began to learn the simplest parts of fly fishing. The first that you cannot fly cast 40 pound test braided line that was meant to be tied to the tip of a 12 foot long cane pole.
Fifteen years or so later, in a fit of frustration, I gave that rod to a taxi driver in New Bedford, Mass.in exchange for taxi fare and some traveler's help.
How I wish I had that rod back! I still have that unidentifiable $1 reel, and the Perrine automatic that succeded it.

TroutmanSE
Master Guide

Post by TroutmanSE »

Started out with homemade willow rods and a plain nylon line for dapping. A piece of fly line was added later for better casting. Next step was to fit the rods with wire guides and tip tops to accomodate a simple reel and some backing. I got my first real fly rod in the early eighties - hollow fiberglass. Graphite from then on, until pretty recently.

Bought my first bamboo on a whim - a 1936 Hardy Tourney - from an estate sale of fishing gear on the local version of ebay. It turned out not to be what I had envisioned. It has the tip sensitivity of a cavalry saber and the endearing quality of enhancing every flaw in my casting ability.
(it still hooked me, though, and I still have it.)

My first real bamboo rod was a 6'6", 3/4wt, Klausmeyer. (Leonard Catskill taper). Love at the first cast. I owe it to Carmine Lisella for guiding me to a rod that met my expectations of what a bamboo fly rod should feel like.

I've added four more to the line up since then, tried out a number of others, and read up on more information than I can remember, but I'm still at the low end of the learning curve.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Tonka Prince followed by a straight-butt Tonka Queen, which I loved, but the butt section broke in a cast. Found another, though flared butt, and had a two-tip rod finished out. Had a Princess along the way, also.
The flared-butt Tonkas works great, but the straight-butt, like the Prince and that one Queen are exceptional rods.
Sight-fished and landed a 4-lb. bass on the Prince one day - all pretty exciting.
Most of my cane rods are longer for the tailwater, now, but have a Pickard Driggs I love in warmwater.

jasalvas13
Sport

Post by jasalvas13 »

My first bamboo fly rod was a 8'6'' Phillipson 3/1, 5 wt that was refinished by HL Leonard. It was shortly after I got into fly fishing, maybe around 2008/09 and I came across a posting on Craigstlist. The listing was for the rod mentioned above and a Heddon 14 for $200. I ended up paying $180 for both and ended up selling the Heddon for $80 on ebay.

I knew nothing about these rods I found but there was something about the name... HL Leonard. It sounded like a classic, quality rod company right!?!

After I found these rods, I did my research and was pretty pleased with my purchase. I actually was recommended to this site and created a profile in order to learn about the rods I had purchased.

The gentleman who sold the rods to me was moving back to the East Coast from San Rafael California. Really nice guy, Yankee fan too. After buying the rod it became my go to and has caught many fish. Over the years I have developed a taste for Winston and have acquired a few. I have been tempted to sell the Phillipson/Leonard in order to fund some more Winston cane I could never let it go. It is a bit like an old friend. Even though your friend seems a little more rigid than he use to be or his ferrals always seem to slip... he will always be in the group, you cant turn your back on him.

The Leonard will always be a part of the collection, even if it isn't fished much any more. I fished the rod last year just for kicks and was satisfied with the decision. It has a stiffer mid and butt section than I like but none the less, its not going anywhere.

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

Lucked into a SB 290 that Michael Sinclair had redone. I'
ve not been in the game for many years, but I relish this rod. It casts easily and feels right in my hands. Cant ask for much more than that.

TroutmanSE
Master Guide

Post by TroutmanSE »

My first was a Hardy Tournament rod from 1936. A beautiful little thing that turned out to have all the feeling and finesse of a cavalry saber. Supposedly an 8' five weight. (the length is not in question. It does however cast a 7wt line with ease)
Luckily I'd already found this forum and concluded that this was somewhat of an analomy.

I still have it. I'll never part with it.
(unless I'm offered 50$ and shipping)

edit: I also forgot that I already posted in this thread 8 months ago...

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

TroutmanSE wrote:My first was a Hardy Tournament rod from 1936. A beautiful little thing that turned out to have all the feeling and finesse of a cavalry saber. Supposedly an 8' five weight. (the length is not in question. It does however cast a 7wt line with ease)
Luckily I'd already found this forum and concluded that this was somewhat of an analomy.

I still have it. I'll never part with it.
(unless I'm offered 50$ and shipping)

edit: I also forgot that I already posted in this thread 8 months ago...
Seriously, $50.00 and shipping? :)

John :pipe

TroutmanSE
Master Guide

Post by TroutmanSE »

The deal is not as sweet as you think.
First - shipping is from Sweden :D
Then, of course, there's a few issues - but nothing you couldn't handle.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

They say addicts never forget the first time. Thanks for the question as the memory is too sweet. Mine was from my grandfather too, can remember it hanging above the door of his cabin on Big Lake, ME like it was yesterday. It was inked Bean's Dry Fly Rod but it was a Dry Fly Special made by Phillipson has the no rock seat and all. It was the only rod he ever used - didn't matter if he was fly fishing or using bait - he had a heavy sinking line (still have it) on one spool and a floating on another... Only thing I wish I had NOT done was refinish it. I still remember all the chips in the varnish where he would rest it on the side of the canoe if fishing with a shiner, etc. I still have the rod and its varnish is now pristine but wish it still had all his marks of memories from time on the water...

tyee

Post by tyee »

I inherited 2 bamboo rods about 15 years ago-A Phillipson Peerless and a Montague Flash. After a few years in storage I decided to try out the Peerless and am very glad I did! It's quite the contrast to the fiberglass and graphite rods I've always fished with.
Still haven't fished the Flash but may give it a go soon.

fishrising
Guide

Post by fishrising »

My first rod was a 7.5' #5 Dale Schock blank finished by Jordan (memory is weak on first name) Lisella (Carmine's son) I believe. It was sold to me at what I thought was a great price in order to get me into fishing bamboo. I have since sold it to someone else, at a great price as well, so they could get into fishing bamboo. I do believe that person got in touch with Carmine and was able to work out a trade with him, so that Carmine could have a rod finished by his son in his collection. This was back around Y2K, plus or minus a couple of years.

Greyquill
Sport

Post by Greyquill »

My first bamboo bought new back in the 90's was an Orvis, 7 1/2ft Adirondak 5w. Preferred bamboo ever since. Interestingly, I have since acquired bamboo rods of greater reputation, but always seem to find that Orvis in my hands when I hit the streams.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Bought two from Dick Spurr : 7 ft Battenkill built best I remember in 1964 as a 4wt for a fellow in Arizona who bought a pair , one 4 and one 5 wt. Was built by George Reid and Calvin Skinner whose work I would put against this new guy at Orvis any day.

Second rod he sold as being an 8 1/2 ft Thomas & Edwards 3/2 for 3/4 wt. He claimed it was all original but maybe revarnished. I don't think so. Kinda doubt it is T&E . It is marked VL & D on the long pocketed all NS seat with the wide ring that would have been standard fare on a T&E but that is about it best I can tell. Grip is a beautiful Thomas style cigar but of wider rings than would have been on the T&E and the winding check is the same as used on my early Dirigo. Has no intermediates but I also can't detect any ghosting and the wraps are a medium color green. Has small English snakes and agate stripper . Tip tops are mixed with one being the straight ring style of a flip ring rod that has been bent up for use with the modern style guides. The other I have seen before but don't know what it is called but it is not anything associated with T&E. Ferrules are Thomas. I think it is an early Dirigo made and marked for VL & D without the Thomas markings. I like it a lot and still fish it regular . It's like American Express..... when I make a trip..... " I don't leave home without it " .

Eddie :pipe
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Hi All,

My first cane rod was purchased at the late Dermot Wilson's Nether Wallop Mill in Hampshire while on a family trip to Britain. It was a Constable Wallop Brook 7 1/2 ft. 5 wt. staggered ferrule rod that I fished for many years.

Richard
Random Casts

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

Mine was a Granger Premier 9050 that I picked up about 15 years ago and was the start of my new addiction. I still have that rod, as well as every one of the 40+ bamboo rods that I've purchased since. For some reason I never have a problem buying one, but I can't seem to let any go.

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”