Sugestion for a new camera

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

tonkin67
Master Guide

Post by tonkin67 »

It's been ages since I had a good camera , we were still using film. I'm looking into a new mirrorless with lens changing capabilities for all around use to start . Cannon and Nikon have caught my eye but I have to admit the choices are mind boggling. I also don't want to break the bank.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sugestion for a new camera

Post by crowebeetle »

Sony mirrorless are pretty impressive

J1973s
Sport

Post by J1973s »

Any used Nikon/Canon/Sony or ? will take good pictures. I often use a Nikon D50 which is state of the art for 2010. You can pick these up on the auction site for $50 or so with a kit lens. One can take really good pictures
With this 6MP camera.
I’ve paired this with a 28-80mm lens which is also a bargain. I found this camera much easier to learn on than some of the newer cameras which have more features.
My higher end cameras are a Nikon D7200 and a Canon 80D. I use these with more sophisticated lenses for wildlife photography. Both are fantastic but with a steep learning curve. But they produce amazing pictures.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

A 30+ year pro says... Get a new phone. Load it with your favorite editing software. Unless you want extreme telephoto photos, shouldered cameras are dinosaurs.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I have to agree.
Get a smartphone. The cameras on phones these days are phenomenal for everything but the most professional demands.

For the longest firmware support I advise an iPhone. That’s around 6 years support and probably 8-10 years with Apple trying to keep longer support as people want to keep using their phone longer. Android phones rarely get support after 3 years which is crazy.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I'm sold on the Fujifilm mirrorless system. I have an XT-1 that I purchased in 2014. They are currently developing the XT-5 but I see no reason to upgrade. Fujinon lenses are well made and optically superb. I also have a Sony Alpha 7II but it gets nowhere near the use that the Fuji does.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I needed a new phone AND a new camera.
Cost effectiveness = money well spent.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

TFHough wrote:
01/27/22 15:42
A 30+ year pro says... Get a new phone. Load it with your favorite editing software. Unless you want extreme telephoto photos, shouldered cameras are dinosaurs.
+1 Modern phone cameras are superb, portable, and (if iPhone) link to cloud-based storage automatically - an automatic back-up! Wow.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I've been a dedicated SLR/DSLR guy for over 40 years, but I can't argue with the versatility and portability of camera phones. Imagery keeps getting better and better -- mostly thanks to AI rather than sensor/optical upgrades -- and I can't argue with results.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

If you want to get further into photography at a reasonable price buy used. I bought a used fuji mirrorless body for 250 and frankly it is darn close to new. Lense prices vary I got a manual focus for 50 with a f-stop 3.5 to take pictures in low light, like when fishing. I do miss the auto Lense but they are much more expensive. I have a bridge camera that's easy to use, for wife n I. Over all the cameras operate way beyond my ability. It's fun if you don't let all the technical things frustrate you. I shoot jpec because I don't want to bother with pic editing and pay for the software. Buy within your reasonable price range as there's plenty of great used buys available. YouTube has tons of free how to vids. When considering a camera they get a little too technical. Thus go with a budget n Lense 1st than body based around what you would like to photograph. Keep it fun.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Although I am a dinosaur and have WAY too nice cameras I just bring my phone when fishing. It is unobtrusive and more than gets the job done. On the other hand if you want the last word in image quality bring along a camera but make sure you 'make' the time to put it to good use. My go to camera when out hiking is a Sony A6500...there are many good lenses to go along with this camera.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

fishrising
Guide

Post by fishrising »

You need to give us more info on how you intend to use the camera please. Low light? Action / sports? Street photography? Portraits? Pics of fish in one hand camera in the other? Boudoir? Landscape? Are you carrying the camera on the water? And your breaking the bank on a good camera may be different than John doe’s version of breaking the bank for a good camera. What’s your budget and what lenses would you like? Are you savvy with electronics? Do you want full manual control? I can go on and on…. We need a little more than “all around use” please, thanks’

Many are jumping to conclusions and potentially recommending cameras that don’t fit what you are looking for.

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

The lenses are going to cost as much as the body, so consider your choices. The advantage of mirrorless cameras is they meter through the lens. If you have Nikon or cannon lenses, you can use them as manual lenses. The only addition to cannon and Nikon I would look at is Sony.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

carlz wrote:
04/05/22 22:11
The lenses are going to cost as much as the body, so consider your choices. The advantage of mirrorless cameras is they meter through the lens. If you have Nikon or cannon lenses, you can use them as manual lenses. The only addition to cannon and Nikon I would look at is Sony.
Definitely. I've been in the Canon camp for years, but the mirrorless Sony system is pretty darned impressive. A coworker just went from a Canon 1D X Mark III to a Sony a1 and says it's insanely good. He was hesitant because of how much money he had tied up in lenses, but says the Sony actually needs fewer lenses to cover the same ground and the weight savings is a huge benefit for what he does (mostly birds).

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

If you go with the Nikon mirrorless Z-mount line, you can get an adapter for the F-mount lenses and have full functionality of decades of superb legacy glass. I'm still a DSLR guy and there are a lot of great deals on older bodies with relatively low shutter actuations...so long as the camera is supported by editing software, it'll last you a long time.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

GerardH wrote:
04/28/22 09:15
If you go with the Nikon mirrorless Z-mount line, you can get an adapter for the F-mount lenses and have full functionality of decades of superb legacy glass. I'm still a DSLR guy and there are a lot of great deals on older bodies with relatively low shutter actuations...so long as the camera is supported by editing software, it'll last you a long time.
I'm asking because I don't know...honest. When you say full functionality with the adapter, is it really the same as using a lens made for the mirrorless body? I know Canon offers an adapter so you can use EF lenses on the mirrorless bodies, but I've been told that not all of the processor wizard tricks will work.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

G-ManBart wrote:
04/28/22 20:03
GerardH wrote:
I'm asking because I don't know...honest. When you say full functionality with the adapter, is it really the same as using a lens made for the mirrorless body? I know Canon offers an adapter so you can use EF lenses on the mirrorless bodies, but I've been told that not all of the processor wizard tricks will work.
I use older nikon, canon, and minolta lenses on my sony NEX cameras with adaptors which allows those great old lenses to but used but they don't have the electronic connection so they have to be used manually for focus and Fstop

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I'm an avid photographer and my advice should be ignored unless you really want to do all you can to create the highest quality images. For most photography the following is overkill, and a waste of money. I've built up a Canon kit over the years which currently includes Canon 5dMarkIV body, Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 16-35L and filters including polarizing, split neutral density, a 10 stop neutral density and a quality tripod. I'm very happy with my "kit" but there are many other options and most are going with the mirrorless nowadays with Sony generally a top choice. My primary advice, if you want to maximize your photography, is to invest in and learn a photo editing software. I use Lightroom and dabble in Photoshop.
The photo editing is equally important to your final image quality. And I have to admit, a recent model iphone has an uncanny ability to automatically edit what the best pros would do in most instances. They are amazing.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

G-ManBart wrote:
04/28/22 20:03
GerardH wrote:

I cannot speak for Canon since I shoot only Nikon, but their adapter retains full electronic functionality for metering and auto-focus for many of their F-mount lenses, I think the adapter is running about $250 There are 3rd-party adapters out there for less; but like anything else, you're chancing how well the electronics integrate with the Nikon body/lens. If I was going with a Nikon Z, I would probably pick this one up as an accessory for the F-mount glass I've collected over the decades:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview

Lens Compatibility
Autofocus Lenses
AF-S Type G, E, and D; AF-P Type G and E; AF-I Type D: Full support of autofocus, MF (with electronic rangefinder support), full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
AF Type G and D: Manual focus only (with electronic rangefinder support), full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
Other AF Lenses: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
Manual Focus Lenses
PC-E NIKKOR Series and PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
PC Micro 85mm f/2.8D: Manual focus only, manual exposure only, and exposure metering
AI-P: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
Non-CPU AI-, AI-Modified NIKKOR, or Nikon Series E Lenses: Manual focus only, aperture-priority and manual exposure modes, and all exposure metering modes except for highlight-weighted metering

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I've got a couple of the newer Fuji's but actually my favorite is an old Nikon V1 12 megapixel dinosaur, it's small and take superb photos.
My Samsung takes great photos too though and is even easier to take along.
I also have a really nice pinhole camera made in Hong Kong that I am playing around with.
And of course my old buddy an Olympus OM1n with the Zuiko 40mm Pancake lens that I acquired in 1981, I love that camera.

Return to “Photography”