The Firehole

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

The Firehole

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Nancy & I spent some time in Yellowstone earlier this year. As usual we fished the Firehole. This river always amazes us. Here you are fishing and less than 200 yards upstream, the boiling water from the fumaroles is coming in at 5000 gallons per minute.

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

The Firehole

Post by fishnbanjo »

Sweet photo Rolf...........

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Firehole

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I have no gifts with a camera, it's "point and hope" for me, but I know what I like and I certainly like that picture. An excellent picture of one of my all-time favorite rivers. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Pat

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Really great photo, Rolf.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Boy, does this photo bring back some memories. During October, 29 years ago, while I was in grade 10 at 14 years old I went for a marathon drive to Yellowstone with my uncle in his shitty little Lada (from northern Alberta).
I had flyfished either once or twice before. The Firehole was perhaps the first stop we made. We were equipped with 81/2 foot 8 weight fiberglass Berkely rods, 8 weight lines, stubby leaders likely reduced to 0x or heavier. Flies, I had a seriously oversized Adams, maybe a 10 or 12. There were likely tricos hatching or midges, I remember the dimples. Several flyfshemen around, no catching. I didn't know about matching a hatch or anything else. Within not so much time my dragging Adams seduced the fool of the stream, a healthy foot long brown. What I remember most is being besieged by very qualified flyfishermen, coming to inspect what sophisticated offering had finally unlocked the puzzle. And the horror when they saw my gear, my leader, my fly. All but one left quickly, fleeing the indignity. The kindly soul who stuck around, with a lot of real generosity went on to congratulate me, explained the concept of tippet, how it can help deceive more fish in thinner diameters on future occasions and to round out my fly box with some back up smaller offerings. Was the first brown trout by any method I ever caught. On a dry fly, in October, on the Firehole. While playing hookie from school at 14. Wouldn't trade 100 flyfishing outings that followed for that day.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

deleted
Last edited by PYochim on 01/17/12 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mataura mayfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Mataura mayfly »

PYochim wrote:
adrien schnee wrote:During October, 29 years ago, while I was in grade 10 at 14 years old I went for a marathon drive to Yellowstone with my uncle in his shitty little Lada (from northern Alberta).
I had the use of a Lada for a month when on a work project in St. Petersburg, Russia. To refer to it as "shitty" is an understatement.

You have heard the jokes?

Q:"Why do Lada's have heated rear windows?"
A: To keep your hands warm while you push them!

dborjas
Guide

Re: The Firehole- fishing rig

Post by dborjas »

I realize this is a very old post but....... your memories of the lada remind me of some fishing vehicles ( rig ) I have known. The all time favorite was my dad's 1957 chevy nomad wagon. If I had it now I could make serious bank on it. Back then in the late fifties early sixties it doubled as a family car/fishing rig and we cruised it up and down the Sacramento river levy systems between Hamilton city and the town of Colusa looking for the ultimate sand bar to fish off of. that was livin!

g

Return to “Photography”