Mirror-less cameras

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Mirror-less cameras

Post by canerodscom »

Hi folks,

It's time for a camera upgrade from my 5 megapixel dinosaur. The new-ish mirror-less cameras are intriguing to me. Might any of you have experience with them and be willing to recommend specific setups and lens combinations.

Thanks,

Harry

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Re: Mirror-less cameras

Post by fishnbanjo »

Fuji, Nikon and Olympus get high ratings. I've owned Olympus and Nikon and there is a really good special on the Nikon at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OG ... scamera-20

The Lumix is promising and the Leica M9 is considered the ultimate but at 8k I doubt that is what you want although I love my M8

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Sante,

I've studied the dpreviews.com site about these. The Sony gets high marks too, but lense availability is a problem.

What I like is the possibility of getting really good photos without spending upwards of $1500 for a camera and a coupla lenses.

Harry

JPMarci
Master Guide

Post by JPMarci »

Harry,

I need to replace my KM 7D and have been considering the A77. Have you thought about the DSLR cameras. All of Minolta and Konica Minolta Lenses are compatible. This gives you multiple quality lenses on the used market in a Nikon/Cannon world. You can buy everything you need for limited expense on the used market.

I have handled the NEX line of cameras. They are nice but you are correct the lenses are expensive and the range is currently limited.

John

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Mirror-less cameras

Post by canerodscom »

John

After considerable research I chose the Sony RX100. While not a changeable lense camera it is quite versatile. Have a look at dpreview for more info than you can digest

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Ken Rockwell's site is a good site to get hands-on real-world reviews:
http://www.kenrockwell.com

I can vouch that most of his reviews are spot-on. He also has some really good information on how to take better photographs. It's worth a look.

Grant

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Mirror-less cameras

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Grant. I'll check out his site.

JeffG
Guide

Post by JeffG »

I have a pocket camera I've taken with me everywhere.
It's a pentax W90 Shockproof, waterproof, 12.1Mp
Video and audio recording this little thing does macro etc...

May not be what any of you are looking for but in all my searching for just the right all around camera this little guy is awesome.

This was taken while fishing with the Gnome a few years back in his beautiful home water of the Gunnison, you can zoom in and see his fingerprints in this photo.

It has a tripod and although it is no substitute for a larger scale set up it would compliment in house photos very nicely with some magnificent streamside shots.

Jeff

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by JimmyB11 »

I have a Nikon D90, this is my second Nikon DSLR and it does everything well, lenses are plentiful and not too expensive. Very happy with this unit.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

Harry,

I just purchased a Cannon PowerShot SX50 HS. It is much more camera than I am a photographer. I will have it with me at Grayrock and you can have a look at it. So far, It has done everything I have ask from macro to super telephoto.

Jerry

jbird
Guide

Post by jbird »

fishbum
All I have to say is that is one heckofa slab in your avatar! WOW!!!
Hand crafted wood fly boxes
https://flygrainwoodcraft.com/

onepixel
Sport

Post by onepixel »

After extensive research I got the Panasonic LUMIX GH2 two summers ago and I love it. It's a micro 4/3s camera with no mirror. It's half the size and weight of comparable DSLRs. It's super easy to travel with and takes fanatic photos at 16 mega-pixles. The 4/3s cameras are an interchangeable lens system. You can even use your old SLR lenses with an adaptor, but you won't have auto-focus. Leica makes a lot of lenses for LUMIX family of cameras.

Panasonic and Olympus, my favorites were at the fore-front of this new technology. Since then many others have joined the market. There's now a wide range of cameras for every budget.

This site is the top site for excellent detailed reviews.
http://www.dpreview.com

Shot from a lake that's sits around 9,500' of elevation.

The same lake at dusk.

pittendrigh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pittendrigh »

Mirrorless cameras are the future. Lots of professional photographers disagree but that's only because they.......have no vision and are stuck with what they know.

Through-the-lens cameras were a technological breakthrough in their day. The optical range finder cameras they replaced were fine for amateurs but difficult for professionals who wanted to change lenses frequently. The (optical) range finder didn't show you what the photo would look like. Through the lens cameras, on the other hand, gave you a what you see is what you get view.

But there were penalties. To get a mirror between the lens and focal plane they had to move the lens further away, which reduced sharpness and also required far bigger lenses, in order to gather an equal amount of light.

Digital view finders fix the what you see is what you get problem while simultaneously removing the mirror. Now the lenses can be smaller, lighter, closer to the focal plane and SHARPER all at the same time. In ten years from now through the lens cameras will be like 8 track tapes. The camera manufacturers know this. They are resisting change only because it is expensive. They have galleries of lumbering lenses too big to be used on mirrorless camera bodies. Not to mention molds procedures and production lines geared toward 35mm film sized bodies. It will take a while. But it's coming. For those who can see through the marketing fog, the future is almost now. There are some good mirrorless cameras out there right now.

Thus spake Pittenthustra.

.....one more thought. The Olympus gets good reviews but it is a crop sensor camera. The Sony is full frame (has a larger photo sensor). Larger is better. The industry is all headed that way. They just had to figure it out first. Some will tell you crop sensor cameras have a "telephoto advantage" but that's a flawed argument. A cropped full frame image gives the same thing as the image you get from a crop sensor camera.

pittendrigh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pittendrigh »

With the new A7ii, the anti-vibration functionality is in the body, not the lens so even manual focus lenses work fantastic.
This is really cool. I'm going to have to get one of those Sonys. My neighbor and former boss John has one and it is so light, so small and so super sharp. There are rumors Nikon will be coming out with competition soon. But I haven't seen it yet.

pittendrigh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pittendrigh »

I don't own a (good) mirrorless camera. I just know my former boss and top-of-the-line photographer John has one and likes it. But John does landscapes and (indoors) architectural photography. And photos of his hand made banjos.

I have heard a birding complaint. One person I know, who is a birder, said the digital range finders have a time lag. It takes a 1/2 a second or so for the digital screen to repaint when you move the camera. Which makes it difficult to photograph wildlife in real time. Especially so for birds.

Return to “Photography”