Which compact?

This forum is for the discussion of photographic equipment used to photograph fish, tackle and flies. Please share with us what you use to do this.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

tightloops
Guide

Which compact?

Post by tightloops »

I've lugged a Nikon DSLR around for years and years now and there's no doubt that it's been worth it when it comes to the quality of my pictures. As a fly-shop owner and guide, photography is an important aspect of my day on the water. However, I'm a little tired of lugging my camera around streamside (I run an 18-200mm lens). So, I'm interested in suggestions of cameras that are going to lighten my load but also give me good quality pics. Any suggestions team?
Thanks in advance
Tight

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Which compact?

Post by ibookje »

Very interesting question Tom.

The problem is that small compact cameras have small lenses. Although the digital sensors are improving, nothing will fix the small lens opening.

That being said a larger compact cameras like the mirror less cameras like the micro four thirds and similar cameras from Canon and Sony are superb cameras (and even better video cameras!) they are almost as big as a full fletch DSLRs.

Real compact camera which takes superb pictures with good lighting conditions seems to be the Sony RX100 Mark III.

Zoom range starts from about 24-26 to 100 which is a lot more limited than your DSLR set up.

Heck even mobile phones like the new iPhone 6 take great pictures in good light conditions!

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Which compact?

Post by fishbum »

I carry two cameras with me. One is a Cannon SX50 HS and the other is a Fuji FINEPIX XP 60.

The fuji is a waterproof point and shoot that can take pictures under water. This camera rides in my waist pack or pocket with me at all times. The Cannon is in a case in the boat. If the weather is crappy I use the Fuji and if the weather is nice I use the Cannon.

Jerry

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

If you are taking pictures for clients of your shop I would go with an advanced compact. I have an old Lumix that I really like. The model has been long out of production but the new LX 100 has received good reviews.

Another camera that I like is the Fujifilm. The X30 will probably replace my Lumix when it gives up the ghost.

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

I've been enjoying my Canon G11 while on stream. Decent photo quality and produces nice macro shots. I believe Canon's G series is now up to G16. Typical shortcomings of point-and-shoot cameras include narrow F-Stop ranges (difficulty in low light conditions w/o flash) and very limited ability to control depth of field.
"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Digital photography is a whole different ballgame than the old analogue photography.

With the digital pictures you can solve 'features' like depth of field (use the blur option), color correction etc. But it does take some hours behind your computer.

If you don't want to or have no clue with computers, it will remain to be a compromise: weight & bulk versus manual control.

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

I use Canon Nikon and Leica professional cameras extensively, but for convenience the iPhone 6 is remarkably good

hbmcc
Sport

Post by hbmcc »

PENZZZ wrote:I've been enjoying my Canon G11 while on stream. Decent photo quality and produces nice macro shots. I believe Canon's G series is now up to G16. Typical shortcomings of point-and-shoot cameras include narrow F-Stop ranges (difficulty in low light conditions w/o flash) and very limited ability to control depth of field.
My "G" precedes this one; and I have a Nikon D70? rusting away, I think.... There is nothing to match the convenience of easy to use, .... well, convenience. You are a fisherman, not a photographer. If I was comfortable with cell phones, I am sure I would look for one with a great on-board camera. As it is, I can stuff my G10 into a pocket and kick out 1meg images all day. And it does pretty much what the DLSR does for the price of a cheap lens for that guy.
~ Bruce
"Never caught a fish on a lawn." - AJ (Bamboo) Thramer

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I recently acquired a Sony RX100 M3 and love it, but I'm hesitant to take a such expensive compact camera near the water. I just wish one of the manufacturers would just come up 4/3rds sensor "tough" camera. The Nikon AW1 comes closest, but I need a camera with a fixed zoom lens that folds into the camera and keeps the size down. I keep seeing a rumor that Nikon is supposed to come out with a Coolpix P8000 that has a 1" sensor. If they did that and made it waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof - they wouldn't be able to make enough of them.

uintaangler
Master Guide

Post by uintaangler »

I have been using the Sony RX100 in my fishing vest for years. I carry it in a small Pelican waterproof case. Adds a little weight and makes quick access awkward but enables me to have a very capable small camera with me on the water

Bob

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Another fan of the Sony RX 100. I have had great success with mine for nearly three years now. Thank you to Hans W for the recommendation.

skeet
Sport

Post by skeet »

I am NOT a good photo guy & even worse on puter stuff, but I'm learning. I wanted a lightweight camera, waterproof & would fit in my vest. Wife got me a Fujifilm XP80 that serves my clumsey needs well ! I have attached to Dan Bailey's steel cabled retriever & fits great in vest pocket & handy to get out....point & shhot. Now if I can figure out the wi-fi thing & get down loaded, mwybe I can even learn to post...AAaaaarrrrgghhhhhh lol and learn to spell...sheesh
....so many rods, so many flies, so much undiscovered water, so little time....

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Fujifilm cameras are well built. I have had my full size XT-1 in subzero temps without issues.

BoathouseRat
Guide

Post by BoathouseRat »

After watching a good acquaintance* of mine, who was hired by the NPS to photograph every National Park in the nation, switch from Nikon full frame DSLR's to an Olymup EM-5 MII and their pro grade lens I figured if it was good enough for him it was good enough for me.

I'm already in the Oly system with an E-P5 w/lenses but the EM-5 M II and upgraded lenses are coming in while a Nikon D810 and $14,000 worth of lenses are going out. The quality of M4/3 is astounding now.

Can't wait to shed the weight. Not lugging around 30+ pounds of gear is going to see me out shooting more often.

*Frank Lee Ruggles. He still uses a big camera, Pentax 645D hooked up to a computerized tripod for taking giga-pixel Sky and landscape shots
Bob Smith

District Angling
Arlington VA

My feet in DC, My heart in the Jersey Highlands.

Return to “Photography”